Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval

The Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval view from the Roman Temple of Diana.

The Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval is located in Évora historic centre, in Portugal, next-door to the Lóios Convent and Church (today a remarkable Pousada) and facing the Roman Temple of the Goddess Diana.

It belongs to the Duke of Cadaval family, and today it has a harmonious architectural elements combination: Moorish (Mudéjar), Gothic and Manueline period. The palace with its 17th-century façade is constituted in part by an old castle burnt in 1384. Today it is dominated by a tower called Tower of the Five Shields.

This palace was used by the governor of the city of Évora and served, from time to time, as royal residence. The first-floor rooms house a collection manuscripts, family portraits and religious art from the 16th century, which can be visited by the public.

See also

Coordinates: 38°34′24″N 7°54′26″W / 38.5733°N 7.90733°W / 38.5733; -7.90733

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 1/25/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.