The Over Bridge
|Coordinates||Coordinates: 51°52′28″N 2°16′5″W / 51.87444°N 2.26806°W|
|Crosses||West Channel of the River Severn near Gloucester|
|Total length||150 feet (46 m)|
|Number of spans||single arch|
Although there was a crossing at Over recorded in the Domesday Book, this famous bridge was built by Thomas Telford between 1825 and 1828, to carry traffic east-west. It was opened in 1830 and remained in use for traffic until 1974. Until the Severn Bridge was built in the 1960s this was the lowest point downstream that the Severn could be crossed by road bridge.
The arch spans 150 feet (46 m), and was based on Jean-Rodolphe Perronet's 1774 design for a bridge over the River Seine at Neuilly. It combines both an elliptical profile over most of the soffit with a segmental profile at its faces. This feature is known as a corne de vache.
Today it is a pedestrian-only bridge, and is in the guardianship of Historic England as a Scheduled Ancient Monument reference number 1015873. Road traffic on the A40 crosses the Severn on a new bridge alongside and upstream of it.
This is the last road bridge over the Severn before the Severn Crossings, and the most downstream free crossing, although the Severn Bridge has free access for pedestrians, cyclists and mopeds and, as previously stated, there is no vehicular access to Over Bridge. Connected by Segregated Bicycle Paths around Alney Island, to Highnam and Gloucester.
- "History and research: Over Bridge". English Heritage. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Detailed Result: OVER BRIDGE". Pastscape. 1997-10-24. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Name: Over Bridge List entry Number: 1015873". Historic England. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Cragg, R., Civil Engineering Heritage: Wales & West Central England, Thomas Telford Publishing, 2nd edn., 1997
- Witts, C., A Century of Bridges, River Severn Publications, 2nd edn., 1998
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Over Bridge.|