Ogmore by-election, 2016
|Location of Ogmore within Wales|
The Ogmore by-election was a UK Parliamentary by-election in the constituency of Ogmore in Wales, on 5 May 2016, the same day as the Welsh Assembly election. The seat fell vacant as the incumbent MP, Huw Irranca-Davies (Labour), was selected to fight the coterminous Ogmore constituency in the Assembly election. Irranca-Davies was the MP for the seat since a previous by-election in 2002; he resigned the seat on 23 March 2016.
Bridgend County Borough Council published the statement of persons nominated on 8 April 2016. This showed that five candidates that contested the election.
Councillor Chris Elmore, currently Cabinet Member for Children's Services and Schools in the Vale of Glamorgan Council, represented Labour. Elmore contested the Vale of Glamorgan constituency in 2015 general election, where he lost to the Conservatives.
The Conservatives selected Alex Williams, a town councillor in Ogmore. Glenda Davies was the candidate for UKIP, she also stood for the seat at the 2015 general election. She was the UKIP's candidate for the Aberavon constituency in the Welsh Assembly election held on the same day.
Abi Thomas stood for Plaid Cymru. The Liberal Democrats selected Janet Ellard, a former teacher and now volunteer manager for a youth homeless charity.
Huw Irranca-Davies resigned his seat to stand to represent the constituency in the Welsh Assembly, triggering a by-election to be held on 5 May 2016. The incumbent party (Labour) selected Chris Elmore as their candidate; Elmore prevailed in the election, winning the seat.
|Plaid Cymru||Abi Thomas||3,683||15.7||+5.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Janet Ellard||702||3.0||-0.0|
|UKIP||Glenda Marie Davies||5,420||15.4||+13.1|
|Plaid Cymru||Tim Thomas||3,556||10.1||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Gerald Francis||1,072||3.0||−12.1|
- 13 February 2016 at 2:08pm (2016-02-13). "Elmore selected as Labour candidate in Ogmore by-election | Wales - ITV News". Itv.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Labour MP Huw Irranca-Davies selected to fight assembly seat". BBC News. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Huw Irranca-Davies resigns as MP for Ogmore". parliament.uk. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated". Bridgend CBC. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 20, 2016. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "OGMORE BY-ELECTION: Welsh Liberal Democrats announce candidate – Freedom Central". Freedomcentral.org.uk. 2016-03-24. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Labour MP quits Commons to run for seat in Cardiff Bay". BBC News Online. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Casalicchio, Emilio (24 March 2016). "Two by-elections set for same day as UK-wide polls". PoliticsHome. Dod's Parliamentary Communications. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Elmore selected as Labour candidate in Ogmore by-election". ITV News. Retrieved 15 February 2016.