Odrowąż coat of arms
|Alternative names||Odrzywąs, Odrovons, Odrowonz|
|Earliest mention||1350 (seal)|
|Cities||Szydłowiec, Opoczno, Ozorków, Sędziszów Małopolski|
|Gminas||Gmina Iwanowice, Gmina Nowy Targ|
Odrowąż is a Polish coat of arms of probably Moravian origin. It was used by many noble families known as szlachta in Polish in medieval Poland and later under the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, branches of the original medieval Odrowążowie family as well as families connected with the Clan by adoption.
Okolski tells that the progenitor of this clan cut off both halves of the moustache of an adversary at a jousting match, and the flesh with it, with the arrow. Bogdan Balbin in notes to Epitome "Rerum Bohemicarum" [Summary of Bohemian Affairs], chapter 15, calls the arms of the Odrowaz family Sagitta circumflexa ["bent arrow"], and adds that some of the earliest houses in Bohemia bore these arms, of whom Tobias was Bishop of Prague, during the times of Premysl Otakar II. In German the arms are known as a "Bartausreisser"
Arms: Gules, an arrow in pale point to chief, the base double sarcelled and counter embowed, Argent. Out of a crest coronet a panache of peacock plumes proper, charged with the arms in fess. The shield is red, upon which is a silver arrow pointing upward, and the bottom is divided and curved on both ends. Out of a helmeted crown is a display of peacock plumes, upon which can be seen lying on its side the device as pictured on the shield.
The tinctures (colors) are: azure = blue; gules = red; sable = black; or = gold; argent = silver; vert = green. In heraldry all charges (pictures) on a shield are assumed to be facing dexter (right side).
Notable bearers of this coat of arms include:
- House of Odrowąż
- Joachim Chreptowicz
- Eugen Ritter von Sypniewski-Odrowaz
- Jan Chryzostom Pieniążek
- House of Szydłowiecki
- Maciej Szukiewicz
- Wojciech Szukiewicz
- Władysław Starewicz
- Zygmunt Pacanowski
- Nobilitation of the House of Odrowąż, Liber Genesos ilustris Familiae Shidlovicae
- Odrowąż Arms in the Castle of Szydłowiec
- Coat of arms of Chancellor Krzysztof Szydłowiecki
- Chancellor Krzysztof Szydłowiecki
- Tadeusz Gajl: Herbarz polski od średniowiecza do XX wieku : ponad 4500 herbów szlacheckich 37 tysięcy nazwisk 55 tysięcy rodów. L&L, 2007. ISBN 978-83-60597-10-1.
- "Herbarz Polski" (by Kasper Niesiecki, S. J., Leipzig edition, 1839–1846)