A church in Nováky
|Elevation||244 m (801 ft)|
|Coordinates||SK 48°42′48″N 18°32′22″E / 48.71333°N 18.53944°ECoordinates: SK 48°42′48″N 18°32′22″E / 48.71333°N 18.53944°E|
|Area||19.293 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Population||4,424 (31 December 2005)|
|Density||229/km2 (593/sq mi)|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||972 71|
Location of Nováky within Slovakia
Location of Nováky in the Trenčín Region
|Wikimedia Commons: Nováky|
The town is located in the upper Nitra River valley, between the Vtáčnik and Strážovské vrchy ranges, about 10 km (6.21 mi) from Prievidza. In 1942, during the reign of the Nazi puppet government of "Independent" Slovakia, nearby barracks were used for the assembly and detention of Slovak Jews from all over the country, pending their deportation to Nazi death camps in German occupied Poland. The camp was guarded by the Slovak Hlinka Guard militia.
The first written record about Nováky was in 1113 as Nuovac. It has town status since 1961.
According to the 2001 census, the town had 4,402 inhabitants. 97.32% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 0.89% Czechs, 0.41 Roma and 0.25% Hungarians. The religious make-up was 75.91% Roman Catholics, 18.06% people with no religious affiliation and 1.57% Lutherans.