In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1075. The original name of this village was Balwany (it means: boulders).
The village is approximately 99% Slovak.
The village has a public library and football pitch. It also has its own birth registry. It also has two temples: the first (the elder) is sacred to St. Paul (The Conversion of St. Paul) and the second temple is sacred to The Exaltation of The Holy Cross. This more recent temple was built in 2000.