North Strand Road
North Strand Road is a continuation of Amiens Street, which runs northeast from the junction of Portland Row and Seville Place. It crosses the Royal Canal on the Newcomen Bridge, and proceeds to the junction of East Wall Road and Poplar Row via the Annesley Bridge over the River Tolka; at this point it continues as Annesley Bridge Road.
As late as 1673, what is now North Strand Road was under the waters of the River Liffey mouth in Dublin Bay. In 1728 and 1756, the road was noted on maps as "the Strand" and was called by its present name by 1803.
World War II bombing
On the night of 31 May 1941, aircraft of the German Luftwaffe dropped four high-explosive bombs on the North Strand Road area, killing 34 and injuring 90. Three hundred houses were damaged or destroyed.
On 19 June, the Irish government announced that the government of the Nazi Germany had apologised and offered compensation.
- Mark McCarthy (6 May 2016). Ireland's 1916 Rising: Explorations of History-Making, Commemoration & Heritage in Modern Times. Routledge. pp. 169–. ISBN 978-1-317-11287-7.
- Kevin C. Kearns (10 October 2014). The Legendary ‘Lugs Branigan’ – Ireland’s Most Famed Garda: How One Man became Dublin’s Tough Justice Legend. Gill Books. pp. 142–. ISBN 978-0-7171-5937-6.
- Records of the North Strand Bombing, 1941 - from Dublin City Archives
- Photographs of North Strand Bombing from Dublin City Council
- Why the Nazis bombed Dublin, The Independent (London), January 24th, 1999 by Robert Fisk
- Article on Battle of Beams from Irish Times, Wednesday 23rd, 1998