North Geelong, Victoria
|Population||2,672 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Greater Geelong|
North Geelong is a suburb of Geelong in the Australian state of Victoria. The suburb was bypassed by traffic from Melbourne coming from the Princes Freeway by the creation of the Geelong Ring Road, which was complete in 2009. At the 2011 census, North Geelong had a population of 2,396.
The suburb has an Australian rules football team competing in the Geelong & District Football League and a Croatian association football team North Geelong Warriors FC that are currently competing in the National Premier Leagues Victoria
From 1858 to 1971 a gasworks was operated by the Geelong Gas Company on a site on Victoria and Douro Streets with a connecting rail to the Geelong Ports. The current Post Office opened in 1987. An earlier office dating from 1886 was replaced by Rippleside in 1986.
Osborne House was built on the shores of Corio Bay in 1858 as a private residence, later being used by the Royal Australian Navy, local council officers, and is currently the home of the Geelong Maritime Museum.
In the 1950s through to the early 1970s the suburb saw a drastic increase in housing construction, in part fuelled by Geelong's growing industries and manufacturing sector.
In 1973, the Victoria Street level crossing adjacent to the southern end of the station was replaced by a road overpass, known as the Margaret Street overpass, and a pedestrian underpass. In 1976, both platforms were extended by over 60 metres. The main station building on Platform 1 was replaced on 8 August 1990, and in 2008 the smaller building on Platform 2 was replaced by a metal shelter.
In 1998 hotel owner George Ramia erected a 15m-high polystyrene replica of the Great Sphinx of Giza atop his hotel, known as the Sphinx Hotel.
In Fyansford Cement Works Railway, originally opened in 1918, was removed in the early 2000s after the cement works closure in 2000. The train lines removal helped ease growing congestion on Thompson Road, and reduced noise pollution for local residents. Prior to its removal, a bike and pedestrian path, known as Linear Park, was constructed in the 1980s alongside the rail line.
In 2012, a part of North Geelong was redistributed. This included businesses and houses on the eastern side of Melbourne Road and around St. Helens Park, between Victoria Street to Swinburne Street. Initially residents hoped to become their own suburb called 'St. Helens', though the name was unavailable and instead joined neighbouring Rippleside.
The Geelong Arena includes an indoor pool, basketball court capable of hosting 2000 people. The Arena also acts as an events centre hosting numerous musicians and acts over the years, and served as a venue during the 2006 Commonwealth Games basketball tournaments.
Geelong Golf Club
Formed in 1892, the original 18-hole course was one of Australia's oldest courses and was open for more than 100 years. The golf course was closed for a number of years during its re-development of the site and has since re-opened as a nine-hole course.
Geelong Golf Club Residential Estate
In late 2013 construction of the Geelong Golf Club Residential Estate began, with plans for 350 new homes, parks and 9-hole golf course included as a part of the redevelopment.
Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative
The Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative is a local community center which serves the local Wathaurong people, who originally inhabited North Geelong and its surrounding suburbs prior to white civilisation. The adjoining Weir Doppler Park, connected to Cowies Creek, is a public wetland with boardwalks running throughout. It also serves as a conservation area for native species, including snakes, lizards and water birds, as well as various bush trees and grasses.
A popular sport and recreational reserve which has a playground, sports oval ideal for cricket, football and soccer as well as a netball training facility. Its historic Grand Stand remains in use.
Several bus routes serve the suburb, including:
The Route 1, Route 20, Route 22 and Route 24.
North Geelong Station
The North Geelong railway station services North Geelong and its surrounding suburbs.
North Geelong contains a number of heritage listed sites, including:
- 13 Mackey Street: Federal Woollen Mills
- 51 Swinburne Street: Osborne House
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "North Geelong (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- "Sphinx with the lot, but hold the pyramids". Geelong Advertiser. www.geelongadvertiser.com.au. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Geelong Golf Course". Retrieved 15 Aug 2015.