|Nordre Land kommune|
Dokka in Nordre Land
Nordre Land within Oppland
|Coordinates: 60°55′55″N 10°1′2″E / 60.93194°N 10.01722°ECoordinates: 60°55′55″N 10°1′2″E / 60.93194°N 10.01722°E|
|• Mayor (2007)||Liv Solveig Alfstad (Ap)|
|• Total||955 km2 (369 sq mi)|
|• Land||921 km2 (356 sq mi)|
|Area rank||112 in Norway|
|• Rank||143 in Norway|
|• Density||8/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||-0.7 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0538|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
The old municipality of Land was divided into Nordre Land and Søndre Land in 1847. The area of Torpa was separated from Nordre Land on 1 January 1914 to become a separate municipality, but it was merged back into Nordre Land on 1 January 1962.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted in 1987. The arms show two gold-colored hooks for log driving (or "brøtningshaker") on a blue background. They were designed by Dag Magne Staurheim. The municipality of Nordre Land has rich traditions within the field of log driving, to which the vast number of log dams within the area bear witness. Tools were required for the log driving, and the local blacksmiths made pike poles. Every blacksmith created his own shape or design for the poles, and one of the most famous pike poles in Nordre Land was the design made by the blacksmith Kristian Halden. In addition to pike poles he made knives. The poles and knives were named "Hæillhakar" and "Hæillakniver" by the locals. It is the "Halden Pole" which has been the model for the municipal arms of Nordre Land.
Nordre Land is bordered on the north by the municipalities of Nord-Aurdal and Gausdal, on the northeast by Lillehammer, on the east by Gjøvik, on the south by Søndre Land, on the southwest by Sør-Aurdal, and on the west by Etnedal.
- The rock carvings at Møllerstufossen are more than 6,000 years old. There are 11 carvings of moose, and also two that are more difficult to interpret. Sometime in the stone age this must have been an important place.
- The Lands Museum is located in Dokka. About thirty buildings are reassembled in the area. In the main building from the Thomle farm there are rococo paintings on the walls by Peder Aadnes dating from about 1750.
- Rock carvings at Møllerstufossen
- Main house Halmrast, Lands Museum
- Østsinni church in Dokka
- Anna Georgine Rogstad (1845–1938), was the first woman elected to the Storting.
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Rygh, Oluf (1900). Norske gaardnavne: Kristians amt (Anden halvdel) (in Norwegian) (4 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. pp. 179 & 196.
- "Kommunevåpen for Nordre Land". Nordre Land kommune. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nordre Land.|
|Look up Nordre Land in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|