Satellite image of Noordoostpolder
Location in Flevoland
|Coordinates: 52°43′N 5°45′E / 52.717°N 5.750°ECoordinates: 52°43′N 5°45′E / 52.717°N 5.750°E|
|Established||1 January 1962|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Aucke van der Werff (CDA)|
|• Total||595.43 km2 (229.90 sq mi)|
|• Land||460.31 km2 (177.73 sq mi)|
|• Water||135.12 km2 (52.17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−3 m (−10 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||101/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Noordoostpolder ([ˈnoːrtoːstˌpɔldər], English: North-East Polder) is a municipality in the Flevoland province in the central Netherlands. Formerly, it was also called Urker Land. Emmeloord is the administrative center, located in the heart of the Noordoostpolder. The municipality has the largest land area in the Netherlands. (Lelystad and Terschelling both technically have more total area, but in both cases it is mostly water area.)
For history see Zuiderzee Works.
The former island of Schokland, is now a museum.
The town and former island of Urk, in the southwest, now surrounded by the Noordoostpolder, is a separate municipality.
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Noordoostpolder, June 2015
There are no railway stations in the Noordoostpolder, but the nearest stations are in Kampen, Steenwijk and Lelystad. From 9 December 2012, with the opening of the Hanzelijn, Dronten and Kampen Zuid, will be even closer.
UNESCO World Heritage sites
UNESCO World Heritage sites located in/near the Noordoostpolder:
- Schokland and Surroundings (municipality Noordoostpolder)
- Ir.D.F. Woudagemaal (D.F. Wouda Steam Pumping Station), Lemmer (mun. Lemsterland)
- "Samenstelling college" [Member of the executive board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Noordoostpolder. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 8302BW". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noordoostpolder.|
||De Friese Meren (FR)|
|Zwarte Meer / Kampen (OV), Zwartewaterland (OV)|