Paris and inner ring departments
|Coordinates: 48°50′52″N 2°33′10″E / 48.8478°N 2.5528°ECoordinates: 48°50′52″N 2°33′10″E / 48.8478°N 2.5528°E|
|• Mayor (2015–2020)||Brigitte Marsigny|
|Area1||12.95 km2 (5.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,900/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||93051 / 93160|
|Elevation||36–113 m (118–371 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The epithet "le-Grand" (Medieval Latin: Magnum), meaning "the Great", was added in the Middle Ages, probably to distinguish Noisy-le-Grand from the smaller settlement of Noisy-le-Sec, which was sometimes referred to as Nucenum Minus ("Noisy the Small").
As a lot of other Seine-Saint-Denis towns, the commune is a very cosmopolitan city, home of many communities, with a lot of its locals coming from various continents and countries. It has a large African population, mostly from Sub-Saharan countries (Senegal, Mali, Ivory Coast and many others) and East Asian countries, such as China, Vietnam and Cambodia. The city also includes significant, but less numerous, communities from Portugal and North African countries like Morocco and Algeria. Recently, the department, and the Parisian suburbs in general, has seen a new wave of immigration coming from Eastern Europe. Noisy-le-Grand now has communities from former Eastern Bloc countries like Romania, Bulgaria and Russia.
As of 1998 there were 2,700 East Asians in Noisy le Grand, making up about 5-6% of the city; many of them lived in the same complexes occupied by Africans and other foreigners, and Asians were widely distributed around the commune.
The canton of Noisy-le-Grand comprises two communes: Noisy-le-Grand and Gournay-sur-Marne.
Previously Star Airlines (now XL Airways France) had its headquarters in the Immeuble Horizon building in the commune. Cédric Pastrour, the founder of the airline, said that the company chose the Noisy site because the airline did not yet know which airport, Charles de Gaulle Airport or Orly Airport, would serve as the airline's base, and that the Noisy site was equidistant to both airports. Pastour added that the Noisy site had access to the A4 and the A86 autoroutes and was close to the Francilienne, and that the costs in the Noisy area were lower than the costs in the airport area.
- Collège du Clos Saint-Vincent
- Collège François-Mitterrand
- Collège Françoise-Cabrini
- Collège international
- Collège Jacques-Prévert
- Collège Saint-Exupéry
- Collège Victor-Hugo
- Lycée Évariste-Galois (Noisy-le-Grand)
- Lycée Flora-Tristan (Noisy-le-Grand)
- Lycée Françoise-Cabrini (Noisy-le-Grand)
|arms of Noisy-le-Grand : |
Azure, on a chevron Or an antique crown azure, between 3 nuts, and a base of waves argent.
- Guillon, Michelle. "The Chinese and Chinese Districts in Paris" (Chapter 11). In: Sinn, Elizabeth (editor). The Last Half Century of Chinese Overseas. Hong Kong University Press, 1 January 1998. ISBN 9622094465, 9789622094468. CITED: p. 198.
- "Contacts." Star Airlines. 11 February 2004. Retrieved on 18 June 2010. "STAR AIRLINES Immeuble Horizon 10 allée Bienvenue 93885 NOISY LE GRAND Cédex."
- "Star Airlines : décollage réussi." Les Echos. 12 January 1998. #17561, Page 21. Retrieved on 18 June 2010. "ce transporteur aérien a choisi de s'installer à Noisy-le-Grand, l'un des pôles en développement de la Seine-Saint-Denis, dans le périmètre de la ville nouvelle de Marne-la-Vallée. « Nous nous sommes implantés là car nous ne savions pas encore de quel aéroport _ Orly ou Roissy _ décolleraient nos avions. Or Noisy-le-Grand est à égale distance des deux sites et bénéficie d'un noeud autoroutier : l'A4, l'A86, la Francilienne pas loin. Et le coût y est moindre que dans une zone aéroportuaire », confie Cédric Pastour, le PDG, ancien directeur général adjoint d'Air Liberté au côté de Lotfi Belhassine.
- "Groupes scolaires." Noisy-le-Grand. Retrieved on September 3, 2016.
- "Enseignement secondaire et professionnel." Noisy-le-Grand. Retrieved on September 3, 2016.
- Banque du Blason
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noisy-le-Grand.|