No. 94 Squadron RAF
|No. 94 Squadron RAF|
1 August 1917–30 June 1919|
26 March 1939–20 April 1945
15 December 1950–15 September 1957
1 October 1960–30 June 1963
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
Sopwith Camel (1917–1918)|
Gloster Gladiator (1939–1941)
Hawker Hurricane (1941–1942;1942–1944 )
Curtiss P-40 (1942)
Supermarine Spitfire (1944–1945)
de Havilland Vampire (1950–1954)
de Havilland Venom (1954–1957)
Bristol Bloodhound (1960–1963)
|Squadron Leader Russell Foskett|
|Squadron badge heraldry||A wolf's head erased.|
ZG Allocated Apr 1939 - Sep 1939 |
GO Sep 1939 - Apr 1945
FZ Feb 1942 - May 1942
A Dec 1950 - 1955
World War I
The squadron was formed at Harling Road on 1 August 1917, as a training unit for the Sopwith Camel. Mobilised in May 1918, the Squadron moved to France at the end of October with S.E.5A's but due to the end of the war being imminent, the squadron returned to the UK, without seeing any action, in February 1919 disbanding on 30 June 1919.
World War II
On 26 March 1939, the squadron was reformed at RAF Khormaksar, as a fighter squadron for the defence of the Aden Protectorate. During April 1941, the squadron handed over operations to the South African Air Force together with its Gladiators. Moving to Egypt the squadron was re-equipped with Hurricanes in May.
As part of the Western Desert campaign and undertaking day and night defensive patrols, the squadron began ground attack missions in November. The squadron converted to Kittyhawks in February 1942 as part of its change to fighter patrols over the desert until May when it was withdrawn from the front line to receive Hurricanes for defensive duties. In February 1944, the squadron converted to Spitfires which were used on sweeps over Crete and in September the squadron moved to Greece. In December 1944 it provided air support for the Army during its clashes in Athens with the Communist-controlled EAM-ELAS guerrilla and was disbanded on 20 April 1945.
On 15 December 1950, the squadron was reformed at RAF Celle in Germany as a Vampire fighter-bomber squadron. The squadron was re-equipped with Venoms in January 1954 and was disbanded on 15 September 1957. The squadron was reformed again at RAF Misson, near RAF Finningley on 1 October 1960 as a Bloodhound air defence missile unit which disbanded on 30 June 1963.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 94 Squadron RAF.|