Koganezaki in Nishiizu Town
Location of Nishiizu in Shizuoka Prefecture
|Coordinates: 34°46′N 138°47′E / 34.767°N 138.783°ECoordinates: 34°46′N 138°47′E / 34.767°N 138.783°E|
|• Total||105.52 km2 (40.74 sq mi)|
|Population (September 2014)|
|• Density||80.8/km2 (209/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Camellia japonica|
|- Flower||Farfugium japonicum|
|Address||401-1 Nishina Nishiizu-cho, Kamo-gun, Shizuoka-ken 410-3514|
Sandwiched between the Amagi Mountains to the west and Suruga Bay on the Pacific Ocean to the west, Nishiizu has a hill hinterland and a rocky, indented coast. The area has numerous hot springs. Warmed by the warm Kuroshio Current, the area enjoys a warm maritime climate with hot, humid summers and mild, cool winters. Parts of the town are within the borders of Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park,
During the Edo period, all of Izu Province was tenryō territory under direct control of the Tokugawa shogunate, and the area now comprising Nishiizu consisted of seven villages within ancient Naka District. During the cadastral reform of the early Meiji period in 1889, the area was reorganized into three villages (Nishina, Tago, and Ugusu), which became part of Kamo District from 1896. A fourth village, Arari, was created out of Ugusu the same year.
The town of Nishiizu was founded on March 31, 1956 through the merger of the villages of Tago and Nishina and in September of the same year, the villages of Ugusu and Arari were rejoined to form Kamo. Kamo was merged into Nishiizu on April 1, 2005.
Nishiizu is served by Japan National Route 136 highway, but has no train service.
Media related to Nishiizu, Shizuoka at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (Japanese)