New in Town
|New in Town|
|Directed by||Jonas Elmer|
Tracey E. Edmonds
C. Jay Cox|
Harry Connick, Jr.
Siobhan Fallon Hogan
|Music by||John Swihart|
|Edited by||Troy Takaki|
|Country||United States, Canada|
New in Town is a 2009 American-Canadian romantic comedy film, directed by Jonas Elmer, starring Renée Zellweger, Harry Connick Jr and Siobhan Fallon Hogan. It was filmed in Winnipeg and Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada, and in Los Angeles and South Beach, Miami, Florida, US. The "making of..." feature on the DVD documents that the cast and crew survived bitterly cold temperatures of below −50 °F (−46 °C) in Manitoba, which sometimes resulted in malfunctions of cameras and other equipment.
A high-powered consultant (Renée Zellweger) in love with her upscale Miami lifestyle is sent to New Ulm, Minnesota, to oversee the restructuring of a blue-collar manufacturing plant. After enduring a frosty reception from the locals, icy roads and freezing weather, she warms up to the small town's charm, and eventually finds herself being accepted by the community. When she is ordered to close down the plant and put the entire community out of work, she's forced to reconsider her goals and priorities, and finds a way to save the town. After tasting her secretary's secret recipe of tapioca pudding, she decides to adapt a former yogurt production line to produce this special recipe of tapioca.
- Renée Zellweger as Lucy Hill
- Harry Connick Jr. as Ted Mitchell
- Siobhan Fallon Hogan as Blanche Gunderson
- J.K. Simmons as Stu Kopenhafer
- Frances Conroy as Trudy Van Uuden
- Hilary Carroll as Kimberley
- Barbara James Smith as Joan
- Nancy Drake as Flo Kopenhafer
- Mike O'Brien as Lars Ulstead
- Ferron Guerreiro as Roberta 'Bobby' Mitchell
- James Durham as Rob Deitmar
- Robert Small as Donald Arling
- Kristina Dawson as Clubber
The film was released at 1,941 theaters on January 30, 2009 and grossed in its opening day approx. $2.4 million to $2.5 million. By the end of the first 3-day weekend, it had grossed an estimated $6.75 million, placing it 8th for the weekend in gross box office ticket sales.
New in Town received mostly negative reviews from critics. The film has a 29% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 167 reviews with an average rating of 4.2/10, with the consensus: "Cliched and short on charm, New In Town is a pat genre exercise that fails to bring the necessary heat to its Minnesota setting." Allan Hunter of the Daily Express has said, "Predictable and uninspired, it is one more example of the dumb comedies that Hollywood is churning out at an alarming rate." Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian was also critical, stating "Renée Zellweger's rabbity, dimply pout – surely the strangest facial expression in Hollywood – simpers and twitches out of the screen in this moderate girly flick that adheres with almost religious fanaticism to the feelgood romcom handbook."
Songs featured in trailer/TV spots:
- Kelly Clarkson – "Breakaway"
- David Archuleta – "Crush"
- Ingrid Michaelson – "Be OK"
- The Kills – "Cheap and Chearful"
- Lenka – "The Show"
Songs featured in the film:
- Perk Badger – "Do Your Stuff"
- Donavon Frankenreiter – "Move by Yourself"
- APM Music – "I'm Movin' Out"
- T-Rex – "20th Century Boy"
- Katrina and the Waves – "Walking on Sunshine"
- Renée Zellweger – "I Will Survive"
- Crit Harmon – "Boss Of Everything"
- Missy Higgins – "Steer"
- Elizabeth & The Catapult – "Race You"
- Brittini Black – "Life Is Good"
- Craig N. Cisco – "On The Other Side"
- Tift Merritt – "Another Country"
- Marty Jensen – "Just Because We're Over"
- Carrie Underwood – "That's Where It Is"
- Moot Davis – "In The Thick Of It"
- Natalia Safran – "Hey You" (featuring Mikolaj Jaroszyk)
- King, Randall (January 7, 2008). "Hollywood heat comes to local Chilled in Miami shoot". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- King, Randall (December 15, 2007). "Spider-Man regular heading to Winnipeg to get Chilled". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- McClintock, Pamela (January 31, 2009). "Box office crown 'Taken' by Fox". Variety. Retrieved February 1, 2009.
- "New in Town (2009)". Box Office Mojo. February 23, 2009. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- "New in Town (2009)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- Official website
- New in Town at the Internet Movie Database
- New in Town at AllMovie
- New in Town at Box Office Mojo
- New in Town at Rotten Tomatoes