Neunkirchen am Brand
|Neunkirchen am Brand|
Center of Neunkirchen with timbered houses and the old deanery near St.-Michaels Church (right side of the image)
Neunkirchen am Brand
|Coordinates: 49°37′N 11°08′E / 49.617°N 11.133°ECoordinates: 49°37′N 11°08′E / 49.617°N 11.133°E|
|• Mayor||Heinz Richter (FWG)|
|• Total||26.37 km2 (10.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||300/km2 (780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Important dates are the founding of the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine monastery, Neunkirchen am Brand monastery, in 1314 and the conferment of the status as market town in 1410. In 1803 Neunkirchen along with the Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg became part of Bavaria. Between 1886 and 1963 Neunkirchen was located near a train route from Erlangen to Eschenau.
After the Second World War, refugees settled in Neunkirchen and after the establishment of Siemens AG in Erlangen the town experienced a dramatic increase in inhabitants. Numerous suburbs were built around the traditional center of the town.
Neunkirchen is also the home of a number of industrial and trade companies. The largest industrial employer is the axles factory, the Neunkirchener Achsenfabrik (NAF).
There are the following districts (pop. statistics as of December 31, 2006):
- Neunkirchen (5995 inhabitants)
- Baad (85 inhabitants)
- Ebersbach (250 inhabitants)
- Ermreuth (921 inhabitants)
- Großenbuch (575 inhabitants)
- Rödlas (149 inhabitants)
- Rosenbach (261 inhabitants)
- Gleisenhof (near Ermreuth) and Wellucken (7 inhabitants)
Furthermore, there the farms Vogelhof, Erleinhof and Saarmühle.
Sights and culture
The town is marked by well preserved gates, the former Neunkirchen am Brand Monastery, countless timbered houses and a Middle Age warehouse known as a Zehntscheune. In the district of Großenbuch, the Kugler family operates a restaurant that has existed in that location since the 1500s.
- Erlanger Gate of the old defensive wall
- The Middle Age warehouse of the old monastery
- St. Michaels Church, part of the old monastery
- The new city hall in the old monastery school, to the right the gate to the monastery
In the district of Ermreuth, the former synagogue was restored as a venue for various events. Worth seeing in this districts are also the church and the castle.
- Ermreuth Synagogue
- The front wall of the Ermreuth Castle
- The village church in Ermreuth
- On Good Friday, there is a famous and in this form very rare procession of holy figures
- On every second Saturday before St. Anna (July 26), everyone is invited to the local fair. Local clubs present themselves with their own stands and on a stage.
- The Neunkirchen church anniversary (Kirchweih or Kerwa) takes place on the weekend of the first Sunday in October.
- A Christmas market at St.-Michaels Church is always on the third weekend of Advent.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neunkirchen am Brand.|