The parish of Næs was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The whole parish, except for the island of Helgøya, lies on a large peninsula located in Mjøsa, Norway's largest lake. Nes was (together with Furnes and small parts of Vang) merged with Ringsaker January 1, 1964. Before the merger Nes had a population of 4,184.
The Norse form of the name was (also) Nes. The name is identical with the word nes as in 'headland'.
Tingnes was the administrative center of the old Nes municipality. Nes Church (Nes kirke. Ringsaker) is a medieval church in Tingnes. Nes Church dates from 1250 and has been restored twice, in 1700 and 1962. The church was designed in English-Gothic style and was built of stone. It has 342 seats and has an inscription band and ring on the main door from the Middle Ages.