Sharma studied at Holy Trinity School for his primary education and Marist Brothers High School between 1968-1971. He worked at the CWM Hospital in Suva in the early 80's as an OB/GYN resident in training. He holds an MBBS as well as a post-graduate Certificate in Women's Health and a Post Graduate diploma in Obstetrics from the University of the South Pacific and Fiji School of Medicine. He worked as a Specialist Obsterician and Gynaecologist at the Suva Private Hospital between 2000-2009.
He was appointed the Minister for Health in January 2009. He replaced former Minister for Health, Dr. Jiko Luveni who took up another portfolio as Minister for Women.
On 10 April 2015 Sharma resigned from Parliament. He was replaced by Jilila Kumar.
- "Dr Neil Sharma". linkedin. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Gates sworn in". Fiji Times. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Minister backs media support". Fiji Times. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Swamy, Nasik. "FijiFirst candidates". Fiji Times. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Vuniwaqa Bola-Bari (11 April 2015). "FijiFirst MP leaves". Fiji Times. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "FijiFirst MP Neil Sharma resigns". Radio New Zealand International. 11 April 2015. Retrieved 12 April 2015.