Museo Nacional de Escultura, Valladolid
View of the main facade (Colegio de San Gregorio)
Colegio de San Gregorio |
Province of Valladolid,
Castile and León,
|Coordinates||41°39′25″N 4°43′25″W / 41.656944°N 4.723611°W|
|Type||Art museum, sculptural museum, Historic site|
|Director||María Bolaños Atienza|
|Museo Nacional de Escultura, Valladolid|
|Official name: Museo Nacional de Escultura|
The Museo Nacional de San Gregorio (National Museum of Sculpture) is a museum in Valladolid, Spain, belonging to the Spanish Ministry of Culture. The museum has an extensive collection sculptural ranging from the Middle Ages to the 19th century from Region of Castile's churchs that, at 19th-20th c., these were confiscated, and other particular donations, deposits or acquisitions of the state.
The museum was founded as the Provincial Museum of Fine Arts on 4 October 1842. It had its first headquarters at the Palacio de Santa Cruz. On 29 April 1933 it was moved to the Colegio de San Gregorio. Other current seats are in the 16th-century Palacio de Villena and Palacio del Conde de Gondomar
The museum houses works from the 13th to 19th centuries, executed mostly in the Central Spain, and also in other regions historically connected to Spain (Italy, Flanders, Southern America). Artworks include, among the others, a Raising of the Cross by Francisco del Rincon, I Thirst, and The Way of Calvary Gregorio Fernández, Adoration of the Magi by Alonso Berruguete, Lamentation of Christ by Juan de Juni, Penitent Magdalene by Pedro de Mena or the Holy Sepulchre or passage of the Sleepers Alonso de Rozas.
During the Holy Week in Valladolid the museum gives 104 images (distributed in the corresponding pasos) to the processions for the brotherhoods.
Collection of paintings
- Pity by Pedro Berruguete, 1480
- Joanna of Castile, likely by Jacob van Lathem, over 1500
- Calvary by Antonio Moro, 1573
- The annunciation of Mary by Gregorio Martínez, 1596
- Democritus and Heraclitus by Rubens, 1603
- Temptations of San Antonio Abad by Jan Brueghel (first half of the 17th century)
- Allegory of the Immaculate Virgin by Juan de Roelas, 1616
- Presentation of the Child in the temple by Diego Valentín Díaz, 1650
- "St. Anthony of Padua" by Thomas Willeboirts Bosschaert, over 1650
- Saint Francisco and Saint Domingo in the refectory by Felipe Gil de Mena (second half of the 17th century)
- Still Live by Luis Egidio Meléndez, 1765
- The Virgin with the child, anonymous, Castilian workshop, finally of the 13th century.
- Pity, anonymous (made in Germany), 1406-1415.
- Funerary Portrait of Luis Pimentel y Pacheco, anonymous, Lion workshop, 15th century.
- Altarpiece of the Virgin's life, anonymous, Antwerp workshop, over 1515.
- Bust of emperor Charles, young, anonymous, Flemish workshop, over 1520.
- Altarpiece of St. Jerome by Jorge Inglés.
- Holy family by Diego Siloe
- Virgin with child by Felipe Bigarny
- Sacrifice of Isaac by Alonso Berruguete
- Adoration of the Wizars by Alonso Berruguete
- The Death por Gil de Ronza, 1523.
- San José with the child by Pedro López de Gámiz (finally of 16th century)
- Old choir stalls under of the church of San Benito de Valladolid
- "St. Anthony of Padua" by Juan de Juni
- "The Holy Burial" by Juan de Juni
- "The Holy Burial" (detail)
- Saint John the Baptist by Juan de Juni
- Gregorio Fernández: Saint Diego of Alcalá, 1605.
- Gregorio Fernández: Thirst i have, 1612-1616.
- Gregorio Fernández: Road to Calvary, 1614.
- Gregorio Fernández: Saint Sebastián , 1615-1620.
- Gregorio Fernández: Lying Christ, 1627.
- Gregorio Fernández: Baptism of Christ, 1630.
- Gregorio Fernández: Saint Teresa of Jesus, 1624.
- The elevation of the Cross by Francisco del Rincón, 1604.
- Reliquary Retables of San Diego by Bartolomé Carducho, 1604-1606.
- Saint Eulalia by Luis Salvador Carmona (half of 18th century).
- Statue of the Duke of Lerma
- Saint Francis of Assisi by Francisco Salzillo, 18th century.
- Saint the Evangelist by Juan Martínez Montañés, 1638.
- Magdalene penitent by Pedro de Mena, 1663-1664.
- Article from the National Sculpture Museum on the conservation of the images and the protocols of action before the image output in Senhora da Piedade http://museosangregorio.mcu.es/web/pdfs/inicio/PDF_PROCESIONDENTRO.pdf (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museo Nacional de Escultura, Valladolid.|