National Legislative Assembly (South Sudan)
|National Legislative Assembly|
المجلس التشريعي الوطني
|Sudanese general election, 2010 (elections to predecessor body)|
|Government of Southern Sudan|
The National Legislative Assembly comprises:
- all persons who were members of the Southern Sudan Legislative Assembly; and
- all South Sudanese who were members of the National Assembly of Sudan, by virtue of their membership in that Assembly.
Members of the Council of Ministers who are not members of the National Legislative Assembly must participate in its deliberations but do not have the right to vote. Persons who wish to become members of the National Legislative Assembly must fulfill the eligibility requirements set down by the Constitution for membership of the National Legislature.
- overseeing the performance of the National Government institutions;
- approving plans, programmes and policies of the National Government;
- approving budgets;
- ratifying international treaties, conventions and agreements;
- adopting resolutions on matters of public concern;
- summoning Ministers to answer questions of members of the Assembly on matters related to their ministries;
- interrogating Ministers about their performance or the performance of their ministries;
- approving appointments as required by the Transitional Constitution or the law;
- casting a vote of no confidence against the Vice President and any Minister;
- enacting legislation to regulate the conditions and terms of service of the Judiciary and its oversight mechanisms; and
- performing any other function as determined by the Transitional Constitution or the law.