Aerial view of Nadur
|Coordinates: 36°2′17″N 14°17′42″E / 36.03806°N 14.29500°ECoordinates: 36°2′17″N 14°17′42″E / 36.03806°N 14.29500°E|
|District||Gozo and Comino District|
|Borders||Għajnsielem, Qala, Xagħra|
|• Mayor||Edward Said (PN)|
|• Total||7.2 km2 (2.8 sq mi)|
|Population (March 2014)|
|• Density||630/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Naduri (m), Nadurija (f), Nadurin (pl)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||MT-37|
|Patron saint||St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Day of festa||29 June|
There are no documents or archaeological evidence which could shed light on the colonization of Nadur by its first inhabitants. Nevertheless, the plateau and its surroundings, with a few farmhouses scattered here and there, were in existence for many years well before the area became a parish. The only trace of archaeological evidence were a number of large flat stones found in a field between San Blas Bay and Daħlet Qorrot. According to the Gozitan historian Giovanni Pietro Francesco Agius de Soldanis these roofed structures, which are not in existence anymore, once used to serve as a sort of temple to the gods. He also imagined that these slabs of stone couldn't have been placed there by normal people but by very strong people or giants. He also wrote that Nadur may have been founded during the time of the Greeks. One proof of this connection is a bronze statue of Apollo said to be found in Nadur in 1744.
Throughout history Nadur played a very important role in the defense of the island from corsairs, hence the name. During the reign of the Knights of St. John, a watch tower was built by Grandmaster Nicolas Cotoner which has been referred to by Dahlet Qorrot Tower or San Blas Tower for the two bays lying on either side of it. The tower is locally known as Isopu Tower.
Another watchtower found in Nadur is Ta' Kenuna Tower built by the British towards the middle of the 19th century. It served as a telegraph link between Malta and Gozo. From the top of this semaphore tower, one can see most of the island, Comino and the northern part of Malta with a wonderful view in Winter of the green fields and the blue sea. The area near the tower was constructed into a beautiful garden in which one can find many local plants and trees. One can also rest on benches while looking at the panoramic view of nearly the whole islands and the Malta and Gozo Channel.
Today, Nadur has a population which nears 5000 people, which makes it the second most populated Gozitan town after Victoria.
There are about 20 farmers in Nadur, the majority of whom work their fields on part-time basis. From the orchards of Nadur come most of the local fruits such as plums, peaches, apples, oranges and lemons. This produce maintained commercial contacts with Malta for over 3000 years. Today this commerce is still ongoing and a great amount of Maltese citrus is produced from Nadur. More specifically, it was recently put on record that 70% of all Maltese citrus originates from Nadur. Presently, the local council is promoting the planting of olive trees imported from Italy as these trees have consistently decreased in number over a period of years.
A good number of others earn their living from the sea as fishermen or sailors. But almost all people work as businessmen, analysts, teachers, etc.
Nearby is San Blas, a tiny, sandy bay on the north-eastern coast. It is a favourite spot for swimming for local residents.
Regions in Nadur
Although Nadur is spread out, it can be split in various regions, namely: a) main square area, b) Ta' Hida, c) San Blas, and d) Ta' Kenuna area.
Main square area centers basically around the parish church, with a host of shops, eateries, snack bars, and mostly residential housing. Important places of interest in the center are: Sacred Heart (Ta' Karkanja) church, Local Council office, police station, parish office, primary school, Mnarja Band Club, Nadur Youngsters football club, Museum branches (male and female), Franciscan Sisters convent & chapel, playing field (whose pitch was recently covered with artificial turf), etc.
Ta' Hida's main artery surrounds Ramla Bay's main road, which is particularly busy in the summertime. Ta' Hida's new extension, along Ramla Bay road, comprises a housing estate built in the 1970s, a very popular playing field, etc. A new, albeit controversial, cemetery is being constructed on the way to Ramla.
San Blas has both residential areas, relatively old and new, very fertile land and picturesque valleys, full of mainly citrus trees. San Blas takes the name after the little secluded red-sandy bay, called after bishop Blaise, whose veneration still exists in the Catholic Church up to today. A nearby beach is Daħlet Qorrot (an 'inland beach'), with many locals owning caves and garages where many keep their fishing boats. Close to San Blas, one finds also a bushy arid area called il-Qortin. Gozo's AFM base is located here, together with Ta' Sopu Tower, which was recently restored.
The Ta' Kenuna area was developed in the early 1980s. Previously, the area was barren, except for the Ta' Kenuna Tower, a telegraph structure built under the British era, Nadur cemetery and some vinyards. Although in the past the cemetery seemed to scare off people, and no one dared to live next to it, today the cemetery has become literally a traffic island, surrounded by busy roads and residential areas.
The religious feast of Nadur – Mnarja – is celebrated on June 29 (http://www.june29th.com). The feast was very popular with honeymooners and its name seems to suggest that there is a possible connection with the beginning of Summer. It is derived from luminaria (illumination), and in fact it is a festival rooted in Maltese seasonal rituals and customs.
The beloved titular statue, that of St. Peter and St. Paul, was made in Marseilles in 1882. It is one of the many masterpieces that grace the grand church. On Good Friday a beautifully made set of statues are taken out for the holy procession depicting the passion and crucifixion of Jesus. On the morning of Easter a statue of The Risen Lord is also joyfully paraded.
The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, is a very artistic monument of both architecture and painting, rich in marble works and decorations, erected on the site of a former smaller church and which is also the highest point in town.
St. Peter & Paul Basilica
The construction of the present church was started on September 28, 1760 and the design is attributed to the Maltese architect Giuseppe Bonici.
This church is one of the most beautiful churches on the island. In 1907 a refurbishment programme took place to construct the aisles, dome and façade based on the Italian Renaissance design of Prof. F.S. Sciortino. The ceiling, depicting episodes connected with St. Peter and Paul, was painted by Lazzaro Pisani (hailing from Ħaż-Żebbuġ), while the architectural decorations are the work of the Italian Pio Cellini. Principal force behind all these new projects was Archpriest Martin Camilleri (1910–1921).
- Mnarja Band Club (L-Għaqda Mużikali Mnarja)
The Local Council is currently made up of 5 councillors who are:
- Edward Said (Mayor) - PN
- Eucharist Camilleri - PN
- Rita Mifsud - PN
- Josianne Cutajar - PL
- Michael Camilleri - PL
Zones in Nadur
- Ta' Ħida
- Ta' Kenunan
- Ta' Ġebel
- Ta' Zejtun
- Ta' Sardina
- Ta' Spilotti
- Ta' Venuta
- Ta' Wistin
- (Wied) San Blas
- Ta' Xurdin
Nadur main roads
- Pjazza San Pietru u San Pawl (St Peter and St Paul Square)
- Triq Daħlet Qorrot (Daħlet Qorrot Cove Road)
- Triq Għajn Qasab (Ghajn Qasab Street)
- Triq il-Ħanaq
- Triq il-Knisja (Church Street)
- Triq ir-Rabat (Victoria Road)
- Triq ir-Ramla (Ramla Road)
- Triq it-13 ta' Diċembru (13 December Street)
- Triq it-Tiġrija (Tigrija Road)
- Triq l-Imġarr (Mgarr Road)
- Triq San Blas (San Blas Bay Road)
- Triq San Ġwann (St John Street)
- Triq Xandriku (Xandriku Street)
- "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014". Government of Malta. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nadur.|
- Nadur Local Council
- Nadur Carnival
- Nadur Parish
- Awarded "EDEN - European Destinations of Excellence" non traditional tourist destination 2007