Nükhetsezâ Hanımefendi (wife of Abdul Hamid I)
نکهت سزا خانم افندی
|Baş İkbal of the Ottoman Empire|
|Tenure||until 7 April 1789|
4 June 1850|
Constantinople, the Ottoman Empire
|Spouse||Abdul Hamid I|
|House||House of Osman (by marriage)|
|Religion||Orthodox Christian at birth, subsequently converted to Islam after her capture|
Nükhetsezâ Hanımefendi is considered to be the biological mother of Sultan Mustafa IV. But as she was acting as the Bash Iqbal (Turkish for "Head Desire" or "Head Fortunate") in the Seraglio (Ottoman Harem) for Caliph Sultan Abdul Hamid I Khan at the time of Mustafa IV's accession to the Ottoman throne. Since Ayşe Seniyeperver was the first consort of the deceased Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid I Khan, Nükhetsezâ Hanımefendi was not allowed to be a Valide Sultan, instead Ayşe became the new Valide Sultan. Nükhetsezâ Hanımefendi lived until 1850, 22 years longer than Ayşe Seniyeperver. She died when she was approximately ninety years old.
When Ottoman Sultan Selim III Khan was deposed as a result of the Janissary revolt led by Kabakçı Mustafa against his military reforms on 29 May 1807, Mustafa IV became the new Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Ayşe Seniyeperver Sultan had acquired the title of Valide Sultan being the first surviving consort of the deceased Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid I and step mother of the new Sultan. It is also possible that she became Beşinci Kadınefendi and was never the mother of Sultan Mustafa IV.
- Ottoman Empire
- Ottoman dynasty
- Ottoman family tree
- Line of succession to the Ottoman throne
- Ottoman Emperors family tree (simplified)
- List of mothers of the Ottoman sultans
- List of consorts of the Ottoman Sultans
- Peirce, Leslie P., The Imperial Harem: Women and Sovereignty in the Ottoman Empire, Oxford University Press, 1993, ISBN 0-19-508677-5 (paperback).
- Yavuz Bahadıroğlu, Resimli Osmanlı Tarihi, Nesil Yayınları (Ottoman History with Illustrations, Nesil Publications), 15th Ed., 2009, ISBN 978-975-269-299-2 (Hardcover).
- Bahadıroğlu, Yavuz, Resimli Osmanlı Tarihi, Nesil Yayınları (Ottoman History with Illustrations, Nesil Publications), 15th Ed., 2009, page 395, ISBN 978-975-269-299-2
- ("Nushatzazā Khanûm Effendi", d. 4 June 1850)
- "Sultan IV. Mustafa Han". Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Retrieved 2009-02-06.