20 April 1954|
Grand Bahama, Bahamas
9 November 2014 60) (aged|
Grand Bahama, Bahamas
|Genre||Inspirational / Motivational Speaker|
Myles Munroe, OBE (20 April 1954 – 9 November 2014) was a Bahamian Evangelical Christian evangelist and ordained Pentecostal minister who founded and led the Bahamas Faith Ministries International (BFMI) and Myles Munroe International (MMI). He was chief executive officer and chairman of the board of the International Third World Leaders Association and president of the International Leadership Training Institute as well as the author of numerous books.
Munroe died with his wife and 8 others in a private plane crash on 9 November 2014.
Early life and education
Born Myles Egbert Munroe in 1954 in Nassau, Bahamas, Munroe grew up poor in a family of eleven children. Raised in the Nassau suburb of Bain Town, he was a life-long resident of the Commonwealth. Munroe became a Christian during his teenage years, later attending Oral Roberts University (ORU) where he received his Bachelor of Fine Arts, Education, and Theology in 1978 and a Master’s degree in administration from the University of Tulsa in 1980. Munroe was also the recipient of honorary doctoral degrees from various schools of higher education and served as an adjunct professor of the Graduate School of Theology at ORU.
Munroe and his wife were killed in a private plane crash during airport approach on 9 November 2014. Bahamian officials stated their aircraft struck a crane at a ship yard near Grand Bahama International Airport. Munroe and the other passengers were en route to Freeport, Grand Bahama for a conference.
In March 2014, Munroe was criticized publicly in a press statement by Bahamian Foreign Minister Fred Mitchell for comments he had made about the government's positions regarding the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals in the Bahamas. Munroe had stated that Mitchell's support of LGBT persons in the Bahamas does not “represent the majority of the convictions of the Bahamian people”. Mitchell responded by claiming, "Once again Dr. Myles Munroe has returned to a theme he does not understand and obviously which he has no knowledge." Mitchell went on in the statement to reference what he regarded as Munroe's "...absolute stupidity and willful deceit is parading around in the pulpit disguised as theology." Mitchell's comments were in direct response to Munroe's claim that Mitchell's support of LGBT persons in the Bahamas does not “represent the majority of the convictions of the Bahamian people”.
In September 2014, Munroe again stirred controversy in the Bahamas when he made comments in a statement titled "Homosexuality - Phobia or Principle". In the statement, Munroe claimed people have "hijacked" and "raped" the civil rights movement with efforts to fight for the rights of those in the LGBT community. The statement from Munroe was in response to a gay pride event that took place the last weekend of August 2014. Local gay rights and civil rights spokespersons stated they were shocked and alarmed by Munroe's statement. Joseph Gaskins, lecturer at the College of the Bahamas, called his position on homosexuality and civil rights hypocritical in light of Munroe's then-recent visit with polygamist South African President Jacob Zuma.
Awards and honours
- 1998: OBE for "services to religion".
- 1998: Bahamian "Silver Jubilee Award" for service to the Bahamas in the area of "spiritual, social and religious development".
- 2004: "Alumnus of the Year", Oral Roberts University.
- Myles Munroe on Relationship
- Pass it On
- Kingdom Principles: Preparing for Kingdom Experience and Expansion
- Rediscovering the Kingdom
- The Most Important Person on Earth
- Understanding Your Potential
- Waiting and Dating
- The Spirit of Leadership
- The Principles and Power of Vision
- Understanding the Purpose and Power of Prayer
- Understanding the Purpose and Power of Woman
- Understanding the Purpose and Power of Men
- God's Big Idea
- Overcoming The Crisis
- Principles and Benefits of Change
- Releasing Your Potential
- Purpose and Power of Praise and Worship
- Purpose and Power of Love and Marriage
- "The Purpose Driven Life of Myles Munroe", Oral Roberts University alumnus of the year, 2004
- ABC.com, Pastor Myles Munroe Remembered for Lessons of Leadership, Faith; by Dan Good via Good Morning America; Nov 10, 2014, 8:08 AM ET
- Fox News, Monday 10 November 2014, "Ministry of prominent Bahamas pastor to continue after fatal plane crash"
- Farai Gundan (9 November 2014). "[UPDATED]: Internationally Renowned Preacher And Transformational Leader, Dr. Myles Munroe Killed In Bahamas Plane Crash". Forbes.
- "Myles Munroe said to be among the 9 killed in plane crash". Alabama Media Group. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- Tribune 242, "Mitchell To Munroe: Don’T Mess With Me", By SANCHESKA BROWN, Tribune Staff Reporter; 6 March 2014
- Bahamas Weekly, Fred Mitchell, March 9, 2014
- The Nassau Guardian, Royston Jones, Jr. staff reporter, 2 Sept 2014
- The London Gazette: . 12 June 1998. Retrieved November 12, 2014
- "Famous preacher among those killed in Bahamas plane crash | Fox News Latino". latino.foxnews.com. 10 November 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Previous Winners - Alumnus of the Year - Oral Roberts University". oru.edu. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Amazon.com search on author Myles Munroe