Muvaffak "Maffy" Falay
Muvaffak "Maffy" Falay is a Turkish trumpeter.
Born in 1930 in Karşiyaka, he studied trumpet and piano in Ankara Conservatory. In 1960 he entered the radio orchestra under the conduction of Kurt Edelhagen, in Köln. Then he toured Europe as a member of the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band and played on six of the band's albums.
He has played in orchestras led by Benny Bailey, Ake Persson, Phil Woods, Sixten Eriksson and Quincy Jones. In 1965 he decided to move to Sweden where he was playing for the radio jazz orchestra, and touring around the Americas at the same time. In 1970 he started playing in the Dizzy Gillespie Reunion Orchestra. He has also played with Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, and Elvin Jones.
In 2005 he received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Istanbul Jazz Festival.
He still lives in Stockholm.
- 1972: Sevda (Caprice)
- 1972: Live at Jazzhus Montmartre (Caprice 1972)
- 1973: Live at Fregatten (Sonet)
- 1986: We Six (Phontastic)
With Don Cherry
- The Creator Has a Master Plan (Caprice, 1971)
With the Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland Big Band
- Jazz Is Universal (Atlantic, 1962)
- Handle with Care (Atlantic, 1963)
- Now Hear Our Meanin' (Columbia, 1963 )