|Coordinates: 9°13′0″N 76°27′30″E / 9.21667°N 76.45833°ECoordinates: 9°13′0″N 76°27′30″E / 9.21667°N 76.45833°E|
|• Total||90.75 km2 (35.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 (590/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Alappuzha|
As of 2011 India census, Muthukulam had a population of 20,740 with 9,474 males and 11,266 females.
Muthukulam is a small backwater village in Central Kerala. It is bordered by the Kanyakumari-Salem National Highway 66 on the east and the backwaters to the west. A narrow strip of land comprising Aratupuzha village beyond the backwaters separates Muthukulam from the Arabian sea in the West. The nearest major towns are Kayamkulam and Haripad.
Some landmarks in Muthukulam are the Kumaran Asan Memorial UP school (The first of its kind in the name of well-known poet Kumaran Asan), National Thermal Power Corporation, Kayamkulam, Muthukulam Vocational Higher Secondary School at High School Junction which is the main focal point of the village, K.V. Sanskrit High School, Pandavarkavu Temple which is believed to have been installed by Kunti devi, the mother of the Pandavas has goddess Durga as the presiding deity. There are many other temples in the vicinity along with churches and small mosques.
- Muthukulam Raghavan Pillai: known as the Akshara Guru of Malayalam talkie films; he wrote the screenplay and dialogues of Balan, the first Malayalam talkie and Jeevithanauka, first box office hit in Malayalam film industry.
- Padmarajan: founder of a new school of film making in Malayalam
- Akbar Shankara pillai: famous Drama artist
- Muthukulam Parvathi Amma: famous Poetress, born in Muthuklulam
Muthukulam is a part of Alappuzha Lok sabha constituency and central minister K.C.Venugopal is the current Member of Parliament. It is a part of Haripad assembly constituency and Ramesh Chennithala is the Current Member of legislative Assembly. Muthukulam is a place where the two alliances, UDF and LDF, have comparable power. In the local body elections 2010, the two alliances got equal seats in panchayat. In Assembly and Parliament Elections, UDF has majority in Muthukulam.
Places to visit
- PaandavarKaavu Devi Temple
- Karunamuttom Shiva Temple
- Erayill Devi Temple
- Chennattu Gurukkalachan Kaavu
- Maayikkal Devi Temple
- Kalpakasseril temple
- Kollakayil Devi Temple
- Illangom Devi Temple
- St:George Orthodox Church
- St.Thomas Marthoma Church Muthukulam
- Kayamkulam Kayal (Back water)
- Kurumbakara Devi Temple
- Vettikulangara Devi Temple.
Muthukulam St.George Orthodox Church
Muthukulam St.George Church is one of the oldest divine churches in this locality. This church is considered as the chapel of St.Thomas Orthodox church, Karthikapally. According to this church, the foundation stone was laid by Fr.T.M Thomas Thamaravellil on December 6, 1967 and consecrated by H.G Mathewes Mar Athanasius on 31 August 1971. While it founded, it was under the diocese of Niranam. After establishing the diocese of Mavelikkara, Muthukulam church dissolved in the latter. It contains about 75 family members who dedicated themselves to God. Being named to the Saint George (Gevarghese Sahada), the commemoration is in the first week of May. Being a Christian community, it spreads blessings and wonders to the natives of other castes.
- "Census of India:Villages with population 5000 & above". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Muthukulam.|