Music of Western Sahara
The Western Sahara has an established music tradition. Many of the well-known from the country musicians have settled in Dakar, where they mingled further with musicians from West Africa.
Sahrawi music shares much in common with neighbouring musical traditions such as those of Mauritania and southern Morocco, yet retain aspects of pre-colonial heritage. The Tbal is the basic instrument of percussion, though the traditional string instrument called Tidinit, has largely been replaced by electric guitar.
The first Sahrawi music LP, titled Polisario vencerá, was recorded live in Barcelona, in 1982 by the band Shahid El Uali.
From 1998, Nubenegra (Spanish music label) marketed several Sahrawi music CDs in the United States and Germany, with a first release of a three-disc box set from 1998 titled Sahrauis: The Music of the Western Sahara (catalogue number INT 32552). Featured artists in the compilation were singer Mariem Hassan, Leyoad, guitarist Nayim Alal and singer Aziza Brahim. Meanwhile, American label Rounder Records released their own compilation Starry Nights in Western Sahara in 2000.
In 2002 Mariem Hassan and Leyoad released a collaboration album, Mariem Hassan con Leyoad. Then, in 2005 Nubenegra edited Mariem Hassan first solo album, titled Deseos (Wishes). In 2009, the album Shouka (Thorn) was published. Her last work, El Aaiun egdat (El Aaiun on fire) was released in 2012.
In 2003 Nubenegra edited the album Nar (Fire) from guitarist and singer Nayim Alal.
In 2007, the American label Sublime Frequencies edited the album Guitar Music from Western Sahara, from the Dakhla-based band Group Doueh. On June 2009, Group Doueh released the album Treeg Salaam (Streets of Peace).
- Amoros, Luis Giminez (2015). "Azawan: precolonial musical culture and Saharawi nationalism in the refugee camps of the Hamada Desert in Algeria". African Music: Journal of the International Library of African Music. Grahamstown: International Library of African Music, Rhodes University. 10 (1). doi:10.21504/amj.v10i1.1225. ISSN 0065-4019. OCLC 957767693. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- Renton, Jamie (2005). "Mariem Hassan con Leyond". fROOTS magazine online. FNI Multimedia Publishing. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Sample and download Sáhara, Tierra Mía
- Sample and download Mariem Hassan con Leyoad
- Info, Audio & video samples
- Mariem Hassan INTERVIEW
- Starry Nights in Western Sahara
- Listen to starry-celebration sample
- Listen to samples from Medej CD, Mariem Hassan, Nayim Alal et al at CDRoots.com
- Advance of the new CD of Mariem Hassan