Cover of the first Mushibugyō manga volume
|Written by||Hiroshi Fukuda|
|Magazine||Shōnen Sunday Super|
|Original run||2009 – 2010|
|Jōjū Senjin!! Mushibugyō|
|Written by||Hiroshi Fukuda|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||2011 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Takayuki Hamana|
|Written by||Yoichi Kato|
|Music by||Tetsurō Oda|
|Studio||Seven Arcs Pictures|
|Network||TXN (TV Tokyo), AT-X|
|Original run||April 8, 2013 – September 30, 2013|
|Developer||Namco Bandai Games|
|Publisher||Namco Bandai Games|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Takayuki Hamana|
|Written by||Yoichi Kato|
|Music by||Tetsurō Oda|
|Studio||Seven Arcs Pictures|
|Released||July 18, 2014 – January 16, 2015|
Mushibugyo (ムシブギョー Mushibugyō) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hiroshi Fukuda. A second series, Jōjū Senjin!! Mushibugyō, a retelling of the original series, started in 2011. An anime television series adaptation premiered on April 8, 2013.
In an alternate Feudal Era Japan, giant insects known as "Mushi" started appearing and attacking people 100 years before and since then they bring terror and death to the country. To counter the threat of the Mushi, the Shogunate establishes the City Patrol who acts under the Mushi Magistrate (Mushibugyō) to assemble warriors strong enough to fight them. The story follows Jinbei Tsukishima, a young and cheerful samurai who is the newest member of the City Patrol answering a summon to his father by the Magistrate, but as he is not able to fight anymore, Jinbei takes the burden of protecting Edo from the Mushi in his place.
Mushi Magistrate City Patrol
- Jinbei Tsukishima (月島仁兵衛 Tsukishima Jinbei)
- Voiced by: KENN
- The main character and newest member of the City Patrol. The son of a samurai whose father was forced to cut off his own leg in repentance for an incident involving Jinbei and the son of his master, despite not being his fault. When his father is summoned to join Mushibugyō, Jinbei departs to Edo to join the magistrate in his place to make up for his sacrifice and restore the honor of his family. Despite being far stronger than a normal human, Jinbei is the weakest member of the team, making up for his inexperience with determination and an unyielding spirit that ends up earning him the respect and admiration of his peers.
- Mugai (無涯)
- Voiced by: Takuma Terashima
- The strongest warrior in the City Patrol, Mugai is swordsman capable of feats that seem impossible for a human. Fittingly, his name means "limitless". Mugai was once the leader of a group called Mushigari, or the "Insects Hunters", but for some reason he abandoned it to join the magistrate. Both Jinbei and Hibachi look up to him and dream of being one day as strong as him to repay the several occasions he saved their lives. He seem to be emotionless and ruthless on the surface, but sometimes his actions show otherwise. His sword is as big as him and has the ability to absorb insects and imitate or adapt their strength and abilities.
- Hibachi (火鉢)
- Voiced by: Rumi Ōkubo
- A female ninja specialized in explosives, Hibachi is determined to prove her worth as a successor of her grandfather's techniques, despite the fact that he does not accept them being inherited by a woman. She admired Mugai greatly, but might have developed feelings for Jinbei too, as shown in Episode 15 where she showed hidden jealousy at the idea of him marrying Haru.
- Shungiku Koikawa (恋川春菊 Koikawa Shungiku)
- Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi
- A man covered in scars known as the "Killer of 99", Shungiku is a convicted murderer who joins the City Patrol as an act of repentance. The son of a bandit, he tried to avoid a life of crime until his mother is murdered, and blaming his father for it, he slays his gang and everyone else in his way in a killing frenzy that ends with him facing his father, begging for mercy. At this moment, Koikawa learns that his mother died by the hands of a member of Mushigari. Since then he looks for the man responsible for her death to avenge her. After finally avenging his mother, Shungiku changes his title to "Killer of 100".
- Tenma Ichinotani (一乃谷天間 Ichinotani Tenma)
- Voiced by: Yū Serizawa
- The youngest member of the team, Tenma is an onmyouji capable of summoning two powerful familiars contained in paper dolls that can enlarge themselves to giant size and deal powerful blows. He is afraid of many things, mostly crawling bugs but he has a strong will and always does his best and got over his fear a little
- Kotori Matsunohara (松ノ原小鳥 Matsunohara Kotori)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano
- The commander of the City Patrol who answers directly to the magistrate herself. His skills and abilities are a mystery until he uses them on one of the Mushigari's member, who is found killed by a sword blow, which also cut the stone behind him. He doesn't often go on the field with the patrol, but he must be very skilled to be its commander.
- Kuroageha (黒揚羽)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han
- The mysterious Magistrate of Mushibugyō, whose body can produce a powerful poison capable to kill any living being who touches her skin. When using her powers to the fullest, she manifests giant butterfly-like wings, hence her alias, which means "black butterfly". She is the main enemy of Mushigari, who seeks to kill her at all costs. Jinbei befriends her unaware of her true identity and she eventually develops feelings for him.
- Haru ("Oharu" 春)
- Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka
- A beautiful and busty young lady whose family owns a restaurant. She is the first person who greets Jinbei when he arrives in Edo and ever since he saved her life, she has held affection for him.
- Nagatomimaru (長福丸)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
- A handsome masked bookworm who loses his faith in people and dedicates his life to the pursuit of knowledge. He befriends Jinbei after his failed attempt to infiltrate the magistrate to have access to its documents as he seems to be the only person who respects his wisdom. He is actually the son of the Shogun and the first in the line of succession, a fact that is kept a secret from Jinbei and almost everyone else.
Mushibugyo began as a Japanese manga series by Hiroshi Fukuda and was first published in Shōnen Sunday Super 's September 2009 issue. Three tankōbon volumes of the manga were released between April 16, 2010 and January 18, 2011. A second series, Jōjū Senjin!! Mushibugyō, a retelling of the original series, started in 2011. Twenty-six tankōbon volumes of the manga were released from June 17, 2011 to October 18, 2016.
An anime television series directed by Takayuki Hamana and produced by Seven Arcs Pictures aired on TX Network stations from April 8, 2013, to September, 30 and ran for 26 episodes. The series was simulcast on Crunchyroll. An additional OVA episode was bundled with the 15th volume of the manga on July 18, 2014.
The series uses four pieces of theme music. The two opening themes are "Tomoyo" by Gagaga SP and "Denshin∞Unchained" by FREE Hebi&M, while the two ending themes are "Ichizu" by i☆Ris and "Through All Eternity" by ayami.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Here comes Tsukishima Jinbei!"|
"Tsukishima Jinbee iza Mairu! ! !" (月島仁兵衛 いざ参る!!!)
|April 8, 2013|
|Tsukishima Jinbei arrives at Edo to answer the summon of his father by the Mushi Magistrate. However, just before introducing himself to his new co-workers, he must fight to protect his new friend Haru from one of the Mushi, giant insects that terrorize the country.|
|2||"My rival is female ninja, Hibachi!"|
"Raibaru wa jo ninja hibachi!" (ライバルは女忍者 火鉢！)
|April 15, 2013|
|Jinbei is received with a cold shoulder by the other members of the Magistrate, including Hibachi, a female ninja that just like him, dreams to become strong enough to repay Mugai, the strongest of the Magistrate warriors, for saving her life.|
|3||"The Killer of 99, Koikawa Shungiku"|
|April 22, 2013|
|Koikawa Shungiku, another member of the Magistrate, is accused of murder and despite learning the dark secrets of his past, Jinbei refuses to turn his back on him and looks for a way to prove his innocence.|
|4||"Ichinotani Tenma! I Can Do It!"|
|April 29, 2013|
|Ichinotani Tenma, a powerful Onmyouji and one of the members of the Magistrate, must overcome his fears to save his companions from trouble.|
|5||"Mugai: What Solitary Eyes See"|
"Mugai kokō no hitomi ga ou saki wa" (無涯 孤高の瞳が追う先は)
|May 6, 2013|
|Jinbei is called to accompany Mugai in a mission. Despite the young samurai is in awe with the chance to work with him, Mugai claims that he does not expect results from him at all, until Jinbei proves himself wrong.|
|6||"The Hot Guy Beneath the Mask: Nagatomimaru"|
"O-men no shita no ikemen-chō Fukumaru" (お面の下のイケメン 長福丸)
|May 13, 2013|
|Nagatomimaru, a mysterious individual, sneaks inside the Magistrate grounds to access the secret documents storaged there. After he is caught, Jinbei is instructed to keep him out of the premises, and they end up becoming friends after Jinbei makes use of Nagatomimaru's vast knowledge to face a powerful enemy.|
|7||"Summer War in Edo!!"|
"Hana no oedo no natsu no jin! !" (花のお江戸の夏の陣！！)
|May 20, 2013|
|A giant Mushi appears in Edo. However, the citizens do not seem scared by such monster, but looking forward to see Mugai's battle with it, while Jinbei stays behind at the Magistrate and befriends a mysterious girl he meets there.|
|8||"Mitsuki's Honey Trap"|
"Mitsugetsu no o iroke ♥ dai sakusen" (蜜月のお色気♥大作戦)
|May 27, 2013|
|Mitsuki, a member of Mugai's former group, the Mushikari, tries to seduce Jinbei in order to learn the secrets of the Magistrate, but it does not take long for her to find out why Mugai was not worried about it at all.|
|9||"The Insect Hunters Attack!! Battle of Hachijo"|
"Kyōshū! ! Hachijōjima no hen! !" (蟲狩強襲！！八丈島の変！！)
|June 3, 2013|
|The members of the Mushi Magistrate learn that their leader is in danger as her stronghold is targeted by Mushikari, just as Edo is attacked by several Mushi and the warriors must choose between protect the city or leave it defenseless to rescue her.|
|June 10, 2013|
|Jinbei manages to reach the Mushi Magistrate's mansion ahead of the others, just to meet the same girl he met before, unaware that the is no other than Kuroageha, the Magistrate herself.|
|11||"Jinbei's Power Awakens!!"|
|June 17, 2013|
|Kuroageha struggles to protect the uncouscious Jinbei from Mushikari's attack, but when all hope seems lost, Jinbei suffers a strange transformation and becomes a powerful creature unable to distinguish friend or foe.|
|12||"Training With Father! The Thirty-six Blades of Fuji!!"|
|June 24, 2013|
|After returning to Edo, Jinbei is visited by his father and he leaves with him to the top of Mount Fuji to improve himself by learning the first of the 36 secret techniques of his family.|
|13||"We`ll Show You Everything!! The Edo Women`s Baths!!"|
|July 1, 2013|
|A journalist interviews Oharu and learn from her the exploits of Jinbei and his comrades so far.|
|14||"Insect!? Man!? A Mysterious Enemy Attacks!"|
(蟲!? 人!? 謎の敵、襲来!)
|July 8, 2013|
|Jinbei returns from his training just to face a dangerous oponenent, part Mushi, part human. Despite being assisted by Hibachi and the others, Jinbei finds himself in a pinch until he decides to put in practice what he learned from his father.|
|15||"To Kishuu! The Ten Crucifix Insects of Sanada Appear!"|
|July 15, 2013|
|With Kuroageha's powers sealed, the Ten Crucifix Insects of Sanada, a group of powerful mushi-hybrid warriors advance from the west killing everyone at their path. After consulting with Nagatomimaru, the Mushi Magistrate departs to Kishuu to look for a way to regain her powers, accompanied only by Jinbei and one of the Shogun's most trusted retainers - Ooka Echizen.|
|16||"The Cool Guy in Glasses Lectures on Right and Wrong"|
"Kūruna megane no ￮ × kōza" (クールなメガネの○×講座)
|July 22, 2013|
|Yukimura Sanada and the The Ten Crucifix Insects appear at Kishuu and order the local Shogun to assemble a massive war ship for them. Meanwhile, Jinbei's party finds the path to the city closed and must find a way to bypass the road blocks while evading their enemies.|
|17||"Sanada Yukimura`s Trap! Caught in a Net!!"|
"Sanada Yukimura no wana! Otazunemono hōi-mō! !" (真田雪村の罠! お尋ね者包囲網!!)
|July 29, 2013|
|Having learned of their escape, Yukimura Sanada threatens the death of all the people unless the heads of the escaped three are brought to him. Mugai and the others head towards Kishuu. Jinbei's party get caught while passing through a village. Two of the Ten Crucifix Insects arrive there and threaten information from the villagers.|
|18||"Time`s Up! The Insect Magistrate`s Office Arrives!"|
|August 5, 2013|
|Jinbei's group and Mugai's group join forces. They break into three groups to execute their plans. Even after their ship is completed, Yukimura Sanada breaks his promise of not killing anyone, saying that the promise of bringing the heads of the three escapees was not completed.|
|19||"He Shed His Skin!? The Insect-men`s True Form!!"|
|August 12, 2013|
|The Insect Magistrate`s Office (without Mugai and with the Shogun's retainer) challenge Yukimura Sanada, who in turn send out his Crucifix Insects for the challenge. After entering the castle, Jinbei gets separated from the group and end up in a dual with Nedzy Jinpachi. As the rest of the group proceed without Jinbei, they are challenged by where the leader of the Crucifix, Kirigakure Saizou. Jinbei learns the Tsukishima stule Mt Fuji Storm technique and proceeds, only to find Hibachi trapped by Kirigakure Saizou.|
|20||"Dream of the Butterfly"|
|August 19, 2013|
|Hibachi struggles to fight against the illusions of Kirigakure Saizou and save Jinbei from them. Meanwhile, the Snow group is progressing towards the well.|
|21||"The Compassion Slash That Cuts G!!"|
|August 26, 2013|
|Koikawa Sungiku fights the ever-re-generating Miyoshi Seikai Nyuudou and Miyoshi Isa Nyuudou.|
|22||"Who Is Righteous!? Tenma and Justice"|
|September 2, 2013|
|Tenma fights Anayama "Justice" Kosuke.|
|23||"My Life`s Greatest Task"|
|September 9, 2013|
|While Tenma, Koikawa and Hibachi are blocked by two more of the Insect Crucifix - Yuri Kamanosuke and Kakei Juuzou, the Snow group reached the well; and Jinbei and Ooka Echizen almost reach Sanada Yukimura. Mugai realizes that Kirigakure Saizou is disguised and present in the Snow group and attacks him. We also see a glance of why Mugai left the Insect Hunters and joined the Mushibugyo. While the fight between Mugai and Saizou continues, Jinbei and Ooka split - Jinbei goes to protect the Insect Magistrate and Ooka to face Sanada Yukimura.|
|24||"The Insect Magistrate`s Cursed Past"|
|September 16, 2013|
|Mugai easily beats Saizou and sucks his insect power into his blade. Sanada Yukimura requests the Insect Magistrate to come with him to the "King", but she refuses. Jinbei starts fighting him to give the Insect Magistrate time to dip in the poison well, but he is unable to beat him and gets thrown into the well himself. The Insect Magistrate's past is shown and the truth behind the poison well is revealed.|
|25||"The Promise Is Hope Within Despair"|
|September 23, 2013|
|After hearing the fact that the poison well takes memory in exchange of powers, Jinbei plunges back into the well to save the Insect Magistrate. Mugai continues fighting, but Sanada Yukimura injures him as he tried to allow Jinbei and the Insect Magistrate to escape. As Tenma, Koikawa and Hibachi are still fighting Yuri Kamanosuke and Kakei Juuzou, Kotori, who realizes that there's something else going on, arrives to help. The others leave to help the Insect Magistrate. While the Insect Magistrate, plunges into the well to save Jinbei from being killed by Sanada Yukimura. But after coming out of the well, instead of the Kuro Ageha she is supposed to be (according to Sanada Yukimura), she is still white. As Sanada Yukimura is shocked, Tenma, Koikawa Hibachi, Mugai and Kotori arrive to fight Sanada Yukira.|
|26||"Tsukishima Jinbei Is Here!!!"|
|September 30, 2013|
|After being stabbed from behind with poison by the Insect Magistrate, Jinbei is gravely injured.He pleads the Insect Magistrate to remember by looking at the sign on her palm "Jin", but she doesn't remember anything. As everyone attempts to attack Sanada Yukimura to stop him from taking the Insect Magistrate away, Jinbei who attacks first is knocked unconscious and the rest are unable to even deal any damage to him. Mugai is able to reveal Sanada Yukimura's power, but he gets caught by the insects that are generated by Sanada Yukimura's black powder. The other side of Jinbei awakens, as he has absorbed the Eternal Insect's power from the well. He cuts the insects which have bound Mugai and Kotori comments that he has the blood of insect hunter in him. As Jinbei struggles with the voices of the Eternal Insect he hears and his sanity, Mugai continues the fight with Sanada Yukimura. Jinbei regains his sanity and confronts the Insect Magistrate as the others fight Sanada Yukimura. Jinbei forces the Insect Magistrate to remember by showing her his own memories with her. Sanada Yukimura, angered that the Insect Magistrate has regained her memories tried to destroy Kishuu, but the Insect Magistrate blocks his attack, which angers him further. Jinbei attacks Sanada Yukimura with various forms of Mt Fuji attacks and finally defeats Sanada Yukimura. Everyone returns to Edo.|
|July 18, 2014|
|October 7, 2014|
|January 16, 2015|
Namco Bandai Games announced on June, 2013 that a video game adaptation of Mushibugyo is in development for the Nintendo 3DS. The game is an Action RPG featuring all of the mushibugyo members as a playable characters. The game was released in Japan on September 19, 2013.
- "週刊 少年サンデー 超 (スーパー) 2009年 9/25号" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "ムシブギョー / １" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved June 17, 2015.
- "ムシブギョー / ３" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved June 17, 2015.
- "Jōjū Senjin!! Mushibugyō Action Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. January 21, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "常住戦陣！！ムシブギョー / １" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved June 17, 2015.
- "常住戦陣！！ムシブギョー / 26" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Aiura, Mushibugyō TV Anime (Updated)". Anime News Network. March 30, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Green, Scott (May 21, 2014). "VIDEO: "Mushibugyo" OVA Promo". Crunchyroll. Retrieved May 23, 2014.