Motza (or Motsa) (Hebrew: מוֹצָא) is a neighbourhood on the western edge of Jerusalem, Israel. It is located in the Judean Hills, 600 metres above sea level, connected to Jerusalem by the Jerusalem-Tel Aviv highway and the winding mountain road to Har Nof. Established in 1854, Motza was the first Jewish farm founded outside the walls of the Old City in the modern era. It is believed to be located on the site of a Biblical village of the same name mentioned in Joshua 18:26.
In 1854, farmland was purchased from the nearby Arab village of Qalunya (Colonia) by a Baghdadi Jew, Shaul Yehuda, with the aid of British consul James Finn. A B'nai B'rith official signed a contract with the residents of Motza residents that enabled them to pay for the land in long-term payments.Four Jewish families settled there. One family established a tile factory which was one of the earliest industries in the region. In 1871, while plowing his fields, one of the residents, Yehoshua Yellin, discovered a large subterranean hall from the Byzantine period that he turned into a traveller's inn which provided overnight shelter for pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem.
When Theodor Herzl visited Palestine in 1898, he passed through Motza, which then had a population of 200. Captivated by the landscape, he planted a cypress tree on the hill. After he died in 1904 at the ago of 44, it became an annual pilgrimage site by Zionist youth, who planted more trees around Herzl's tree.
David Remez named the sanatorium opened in the village Arza, or cedar.Arza, established in the 1920s, was the first Jewish "health resort" in the country. During World War I, Herzl's tree was cut down by the Turks who were leveling forests for firewood and supplies. Motza was violently attacked in the 1929 Palestine riots.
The flourishing orchard of the Broza family is mentioned in the Hope Simpson Report in 1930. The children of Motza attended school in one of the rooms built above the vaulted hall. Their teacher was Moshe David Gaon, later father of singer and actor Yehoram Gaon. Motza was the only Jewish presence in the area. Kfar Uria and Hartuv were further west in the Judean foothills.
In 1933 the villagers founded the neighbouring Upper Motza (Motza Illit).
In December 1948, United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194 recommended that "the built-up area of Motsa" be included in the Jerusalem "Corpus separatum", which was to be detached from "the rest of Palestine" and "placed under effective United Nations control". However, like other provisions of Resolution 194, this was never carried out in practice, and Motza became part of the State of Israel.
Despite good relations with neighbouring Arab communities, the village was attacked during the 1929 Palestine riots. Several residents of Qalunya attacked an outlying house belonging to the Maklef family, killing the father, mother, son, two daughters, and their two guests. Three children survived by escaping out a second-story window; one, Mordechai Maklef, later became Chief of Staff of the Israeli Army. The attackers included the lone police officer and armed man in the area, as well as a shepherd employed by the Maklef family. The village was subsequently abandoned by Jews for a year's time.
Refugees from Motza sent a letter to the Refugees Aid Committee in Jerusalem describing their plight and asking for help: "Our houses were burned and robbed...we have nothing left. And now we are naked and without food. We need your immediate assistance and ask for nothing more than bread to eat and clothes to wear."
Motza was home to one of Israel's oldest wineries, the Teperberg Winery, then called Efrat, until its move to Tzora. In 2006, the Yellin and Yehuda families helped restore Joshua Yellin's original home, among the oldest and most derelict buildings at the site.
Excavations in Motza unearthed a large building revealing clear elements of ritual use, dated to the 9th century BCE. A rare cache of ritual objects found near the building included tiny ceramic figurines of men and animals. An analysis of animal bones found at the site indicated that they belonged only to kosher animals.Archaeologists also found remains of a settlement dated to the Neolithic period (about 6000 BCE), a settlement from the First Temple period and 36 wheat granaries, indicating that Motza was part of an ancient economic center.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motza.|
- "Das Palästina-bilder-buch; 96 photographien". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- National Campus for the Archeology of Israel
- Motza, Atarot, and Neveh Yaacov
- לגרב ימ בכרב ימ
- Planting from the remains
- Modern pilgrimage
- How Israel's socialist retreats for workers turned into luxury hotels
- Ancient Motza
- Segev, Tom (1999). One Palestine, Complete. Metropolitan Books. p. 324. ISBN 0-8050-4848-0.
- Hope Simpson Report
- Herzl’s Tree
- סיפור הפרברים: חמישה אתרים בשולי ירושלים
- Mills, 1932, p. 41
- Jewish memorabilia to be auctioned in Jerusalem, Haaretz
- Rogov, Daniel (2012). The Ultimate Rogov's Guide to Israeli Wine. Toby Press. p. 550.
- עבודות שיפוץ ושימור לבית משפחת ילין במוצא
- Israeli archaeologists uncover ancient temple just outside Jerusalem
- The long road to straightening out a curve
1*"Talking Picture Magazine", March 1933, p. 45, an article on the film: "THE MOTZA COLONY", a drama after the event of the brutal murder of the Makleff Family.