|Comune di Montemarano|
Location of Montemarano in Italy
|Coordinates: 40°54′58″N 14°59′54″E / 40.91611°N 14.99833°ECoordinates: 40°54′58″N 14°59′54″E / 40.91611°N 14.99833°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Avellino (AV)|
|• Total||33 km2 (13 sq mi)|
|Elevation||820 m (2,690 ft)|
|• Density||92/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Giovanni|
|Saint day||21 August|
The existence of the town is documented since the 11th century. During Norman times, it was attacked by Ruggiero and completely destroyed. Later it became a fiefdom of Raona of Fragneto. Other important feudal families were the Caracciolo, the Della Leonessa and the Della Marra.
Montemarano was the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Montemarano which was established in 1059 as a suffragan of the Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Salerno. Its first bishop, St. John of Montemarano, is honored with a statue in the town. On 27 June 1818, it was suppressed and its territory merged into the Diocese of Nusco. The diocese was nominally restored as a titular bishopric in 1968.
The most important event is the famous Montemarano Carnival with its known tarantella montemaranese, an ancient tradition of the place.
The economy depends on agriculture, notably vineyards. One of the more famous wineries of Montemarano and the surrounding region is the Aminea winery. Aminea wines can be found in some American wine shops.
Notes and references
- "Diocese of Montemarano" Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved October 5, 2016
- "Titular Episcopal See of Montemarano" GCatholic.org. Gabriel Chow. Retrieved October 5, 2016
- Chronology of Catholic Dioceses:Notes on the Diocese of Montemarano 1059 retrieved October 5, 2016