Lajos Kossuth's birthplace

Coat of arms

Location of Monok in Hungary

Coordinates: 48°12′37″N 21°08′52″E / 48.2102°N 21.1477°E / 48.2102; 21.1477
Country Hungary
Region Northern Hungary
County Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
Subregion Szerencs
Rank Village
KSH code 07825[1]
  Mayor Demeterné Bártfay Emese
  Total 41.98 km2 (16.21 sq mi)
Population (2009)[3]
  Total 1,606
  Density 38/km2 (99/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
  Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 3905
Area code +36 47

Monok is a village in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Hungary and is part of the Tokaj wine region.


The nearest town is Szerencs 12 km (7 mi) away. Neighbouring villages are Golop 5 km (3 mi) away, Legyesbénye 7 km (4 mi) away and Tállya 7 km (4 mi) away.

The Zemplén Mountains have two sides: on the north Vilvitány Hill, on the south Szerencs Hill. The village lies in the valley between the two.

Although the north is mountainous the south is lower lying at around 300 metres (1,000 ft). On the north and south slopes there are fields and vineyards whose wines compete with those from Tokaj, and the fields bordering the vineyards offer a beautiful view of the Tatra Mountains.


It is not certain when the village was established, but it was some time during the Mongol invasion of Europe, or the earlier Hungarian invasion (Hungarian: honfoglalás).

The first record of the village is in 1392 and the Monaky family owned it in the 13th century [sic]. The name of the village comes from Slavic monoh meaning "monk". During the Ottoman Empire the village was razed and in 1567 it was recorded as being just barren fields. Towards the end of this century the village was reinhabited and around 1570 a small castle was built in the Renaissance style. Later, the village was owned by the Andrássy family who renovated the castle, but because it was too small they built another nearby in the Classical style.


93% of the population is Hungarian, with the remaining 7% being of Romany origin.[4]



Andrássy Castle

Famous people


  1. Monok at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian).
  2. Monok at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian).
  3. Monok at the Hungarian Central Statistical Office (Hungarian). 1 January 2008.
  4. Hungarian Census: Ethnicity numbers for settlements (in Hungarian and English), Hungarian Central Statistical Office, 2001, retrieved 26 October 2009
  5. "Monok Cross of Saints Fairground". Retrieved 26 October 2009.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 5/5/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.