|Comune di Mondaino|
Location of Mondaino in Italy
|Coordinates: 43°51′N 12°40′E / 43.850°N 12.667°ECoordinates: 43°51′N 12°40′E / 43.850°N 12.667°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Province of Rimini (RN)|
|Frazioni||Pieggia, San Teodoro, Montespino, Laureto|
|• Total||19.8 km2 (7.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||420 m (1,380 ft)|
|Population (Dec. 2004)|
|• Density||75/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Mondaino is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Rimini in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna, located about 130 kilometres (81 mi) southeast of Bologna and approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi) southeast of Rimini. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 1,486 and an area of 19.8 square kilometres (7.6 sq mi).
The municipality of Mondaino contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) Pieggia, San Teodoro, Montespino, and Laureto.
The first quotation of “castrum quod vocatur Mons Dainus” dates back to 1069, when the village was donated by Pietro di Bennone Pier Damiani from Rimini; Mondaino was therefore ruled by the abbot of the Monastery of S. Gregorio in Conca together with the bishop of Rimini until when it yielded to the Municipality of Rimini in 1233, when it became a Municipality, together with the other municipalities and castles of the Dioceses. Under the rule of Malatesta from the end of the 13th century, for more than a century Mondaino was involved in the wars waged by this family, among its factions, against the Church and against the Montefeltro Family. After the Pontifical victory it passed from 1464 under the government of Fano; in the 16th century Fano and Mondaino were repeatedly sold and regained by the Apostolical Chamber and in the second half of that century there was a period of substantial unification with the Duchy of Urbino. In 1578 Mondaino went under the rule of Ravenna and then to Fano one; it returned to the rule of Ravenna in 1590 and stayed in the Legation of Romagna for two subsequent centuries. At the end of the 18th century, with Napoleon’s occupation, it became part of the Department of Rubicone and of the Cisalpine Republic, then from 1816 it became part of the Province of Romagna of the Pontifical State, up to the constitution of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.