Minister for Defence Procurement
The Minister for Defence Procurement is a junior Defence minister in the Ministry of Defence of the British Government. The current incumbent of the post is Conservative MP, Harriett Baldwin.
This ministerial post derives from that of two posts; the procurement aspects of this post were the responsibility of the Minister of Defence Procurement (either a Minister of State or the more junior, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State), while still the defence logistic aspects were the brief of the Minister of State for the Armed Forces.
This post was created in 2007 to reflect the establishment of the Defence Equipment and Support organisation of the UK Ministry of Defence. Lord Drayson was appointed as its first incumbent. Whilst Lord Drayson held the role as a Minister of State, all of his successors have been Parliamentary Under-Secretaries, the most junior ministerial rank in the British Government.
The post was retitled in 2010 as Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology. The current title of the post is unclear as it has been announced as both Minister for Defence Procurement and Minister for Defence Equipment, Technology and Support.
The Minister is responsible for:
- The Defence Equipment Programme and through life Defence logistics support, including:
- Defence Science and Technology, including:-
- DSTL, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Commercial policy throughout the Department
- Defence exports
- International aspects of defence equipment and support
Ministers of Defence for Equipment, 1967–1970
Minister of State for Defence, 1970–1972
Minister for Defence Procurement, 1971–1972
Ministers of State for Defence, 1972–1981
Ministers for Defence Procurement, 1981–2007
Ministers for Defence Equipment and Support, 2007–2010
Ministers for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology/Minister for Defence Procurement, 2010–
- ↑ Lord Drayson appointed minister
- ↑ Election 2015: Prime Minister and ministerial appointments - 11 May 2015
- ↑ Ministry of Defence Ministerial appointments finalised - 11 May 15