Church of St. Laurence
|Coordinates: 48°10′55″N 9°54′15″E / 48.18194°N 9.90417°ECoordinates: 48°10′55″N 9°54′15″E / 48.18194°N 9.90417°E|
|• Mayor||Reiner Buck|
|• Total||26.34 km2 (10.17 sq mi)|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||07392, 07353, 07356|
The first charter in which Mietingen is mentioned, dates from 1083 when the village was ruled by a local aristocrat, Luitpold von Moitinga. Its origins, however, are thought to date further back to the time of the colonization by Alemannic tribes.
In 1270, Mietingen came temporarily into the ownership of the bishopric of Konstanz. The majority of the village belonged to the Herren von Freiberg from 1339 onwards, one of whose dynastic line settled in Mietingen. From 1142 until the secularisation in 1803, the village was subject to Heggbach Abbey, after which it was transferred into the ownership of the counts of Plettenberg und Bassenheim who in turn sold it on to the Hungarian counts Esterhazy. Mietingen became finally part of the Kingdom of Württemberg following the mediatisation of small, independent principalities in 1806.
It was administratively part of the district of Wiblingen until 1845 when the administration was moved to Laupheim, creating the district of Laupheim. After the disbanding of this district in 1938, Mietingen became part of the district of Biberach.
The village of Baltringen is situated on the Oberschwäbische Barockstraße, a touristic route along the most notable architectural relics of Baroque-style in Upper Swabia.