Miesbach is a district in Bavaria, Germany. It is bounded by (from the west and clockwise) the districts of Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen, Munich and Rosenheim, and by the Austrian state of Tyrol.
In medieval times most of the district was occupied by clerical states. The Miesbach district is the union of the areas that were formerly occupied by the Hohenwaldeck county, the territories owned by the powerful Tegernsee Abbey, the territories owned by the Weyarn Abbey and Valley County.
Hohenwaldeck was annexed by Bavaria in 1734, Valley in 1777. The clerical states were dissolved in 1803 and fell to Bavaria as well.
Miesbach was established in 1803 the foundation ceremony took place in the court district of Hohenwaldeck.
In 1818 Tegernsee was established. The same year the Bad Aibling district was established too and Miesbach had to deliver 12 municipalities.
In 1939 Tegernsee was merged into Miesbach. During the territorial reform in Bavaria in 1972 Otterffing was merged into Miesbach too and the district Wolfratshausen as well.
The southern half of the district is located in the Bavarian Alps. This section of the Alps is called Mangfall Mountains (Mangfallgebirge) as the River Mangfall has its source here. The most important peaks are Rotwand ("Red Wall", 1884 m), the highest mountain in the area and Wendelstein (1838 m) .
The Mangfall River, a short but broad affluent of the Inn River, flows northward with the district's municipalities on either bank. In the initial part of its course it runs through Tegernsee Lake (9 km²).
Coat of arms
||The coat of arms displays:
- a red eagle and two crossed staves, symbolising the county of Hohenwaldeck
- two water lily leaves above a wavy line, the ancient arms of the monastery of Tegernsee
|| Years in office|
| District Minister
|| Franz Xaver Steyrer
Max Graf von Preysing
| Joint President
|| Carl Bollweg
Bernhard de Rudder
| 1851, 1862–1874|
Dr. von Wehner
Freiherr von Schoen
Dr. Simon Beck
Dr. Walter Königsdorfer
May 10, 1945 – August 1, 1945
August 1, 1945 – May 10, 1946
May 11, 1946 – May 27, 1946
May 28, 1946 – June 11, 1946
June 11, 1946 – September 25, 1946
September 26, 1946 – May 31, 1948
June 5, 1948 – December 14, 1948
Towns and municipalities
Coordinates: 47°45′N 11°50′E / 47.75°N 11.83°E