Fr Micheál MacGréil S.J., is an Irish Jesuit priest, sociologist, writer and activist.
Micheal Mac Greil was born in Clonaslee, Co. Laois in 1931 and grew up in near Westport, Co Mayo. Fr MacGreil was educated by the Christian Brothers in Westport, and served in the Irish Army from 1950 until 1959 as a cadet and officer. MacGreil studied Louvain, Kent State University, Milltown Park and University College Dublin from where he gained his doctorate in sociology in 1976. A lecturer in Sociology the National University at St. Patrick's College, Maynooth from 1971 until he retired in 1996, he also lectured for a time in UCD.
An activist on many issues such as Prison Reform, Irish Language, and more recently the Western Rail Corridor. He retired as lecturer in NUIM and was appointed to a parish in Westport, County Mayo. In 1980, Dr. MacGréil revived the tradition of making a pilgrimage to Máméan. Fr. MacGréil has published many books, papers and reports on social issues and attitudes in Ireland.
In 1994 Dr MacGreil served as president of Aontas the Irish national adult learning organisation, in 1981 Dr. MacGreil chaired a special working party on the Jesuit Catholic Workers College, which was to evolve into the National College of Ireland.
- A psycho-socio-cultural theory of prejudice: As tested in data collected from selected samples in the Philadelphia and Cleveland metropolitan areas by Micheál P MacGréil (1966)
- Community In The Making by Micheal MacGreil S.J. (1970)
- Prejudice And Tolerance In Ireland by Michael Macgreil (1978) - won the Christopher Ewart-Biggs Memorial Prize
- The Sligo-Limerick Railway: a Case for Its Restoration by M MacGreil (1981)
- Memoirs, 1911-86 James Horan by Fr Michael MacGreil (1992)
- Prejudice in Ireland Revisited by Michael Macgreil, Survey and Research Unit, St. Patrick's College, Maynooth (1996)
- Quo Vadimus. Ca Bhfuil Ar dTriall?/Where are We going? by Micheal MacGreil (1998)
- Report on Religious Attitudes in Ireland (2007-2008) by Micheal MacGreil
- The Emancipation of The Travelling People (2010)
- Pluralism and Diversity in Ireland: Prejudice and Related Issues in Early 21st Century Ireland by Michael Macgreil (2012)
- The ongoing present a critical look at the society and world in which I grew up by Micheal Mac Greil, Messenger Publications.
- Michael Mac Greil Veritas Books Online.
- Rail Network: Presentation Oireachtas Joint Committee on transport, Wednesday 12 November 2003.
- Mayo match impacts on Oilithreacht go Máméan By Sarah Mac Donald, Catholic Ireland, 07 August, 2013
- Fr Micheal MacGreil publishes new report on Traveller emancipation by Sean Ryan, CatholicIreland.net, Wednesday 14, June 2010.