Michael Kidd (physician)
AM, MD, FRACGP
|President World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA)|
June 2013 – November 2016
|Preceded by||Richard Roberts|
|Succeeded by||Amanda Howe|
11 November 1959|
|Alma mater||Melbourne University|
Michael Richard Kidd AM (born 11 November 1959) is an Australian general practitioner. He is a past president of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and is the current president of the World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA).
Kidd was educated at Belle Vue Primary School, and later Trinity Grammar School, Melbourne. In 1983, he obtained MBBS (Hons) at the University of Melbourne, a postgraduate diploma in Community Child Health at Flinders University in 1989, a Doctorate of Medicine in medical education at Monash University, and in 1995 he obtained his Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners in 1989.
Kidd was President of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners from 2002 to 2006. He was Head of the Department of General Practice at The University of Sydney between 1998 and 2009. In 2009 he was appointed as an Honorary Professor with the School of Medicine at The University of Sydney. Kidd is the current Executive Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences at Flinders University with responsibility for the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing and Midwifery, and the School of Health Sciences. He is a member of the International Scientific Advisory Board of the UK Biobank Research Project based at Oxford University. From 2008 to 2010 he was the Chair of the advocacy organisation Doctors for the Environment Australia. Kidd will serve as World President of WONCA from June 2013 to November 2016.
He is the founder and editor-in-chief of the Journal of Medical Case Reports, the world’s first online, PubMed listed, international medical journal devoted solely to case reports from all medical disciplines.
Kidd also wrote with Leanne Rowe a book on health promotion, Save your life and the lives of those you love – your GP’s six step guide to good health, published by Allen and Unwin in 2007. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 120 libraries. A second book with Rowe discussed the health and well being of doctors and medical students entitled First Do No Harm – how to be a resilient doctor in the 21st century and was published by McGraw Hill in 2009. According to WorldCat, the book is held in 101 libraries.
- He has been Chair, Australian Government’s Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmissible Infections, and of the South Australian Health and Medical Research Advisory Council. Kidd has also has been a member of the Australian Therapeutic Goods Advisory Council. the Medical Training Review Panel, the Privacy Advisory Committee of the Federal Privacy Commissioner. He is a current member of the council of the Australian Government's National Health and Medical Research Council.
He is an elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences. He has been awarded honorary fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners (UK), the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners, the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians, the Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia, the College of General Practitioners of Sri Lanka and the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine and life membership of the General Practitioners’ Association of Nepal. In 2007 he received the Australian Medical Association Award for Excellence in Health Care in recognition of his contribution to primary care, medical education and the health care of disadvantaged people in Australia. In the 2009 Queen’s Birthday Honours List, he was made a Member of the Order of Australia for service to medicine and education in the areas of general practice and primary health care and through a range of professional organisations
- Hovenga, E, 'Kidd, MR, Cesnik, B (1996). Health Informatics: an Overview, Churchill-Livingstone, London. ISBN 0443054304.
- Kidd, MR, McCoy, R (2003). Oxford Textbook of Primary Medical Care - HIV/AIDS in Primary Care, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Rowe, L, Kidd, MR (2007). Save your life – and the lives of those you love, Allen and Unwin, Sydney. ISBN 9781741751888
- Rowe, L, Kidd, MR (2009). First do no harm – how to be a resilient doctor in the 21st century, McGraw-Hill, Sydney. ISBN 9780070276970
- Members of the Order of Australia, Queens Birthday Honours List 2009
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, College History
- WONCA President, WONCA Global Family Doctor
- Honorary Professor Michael Kidd, University of Sydney, Our Academics
- Professor Michael Kidd, Flinders University, People
- UK Biobank, International Scientific Advisory Board
- Editorial Board, Journal of Medical Case Reports
- WorldCat identities
- First, Do No Harm, Book Depository
- Australian Government’s Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmissible Infections
- 2007 Award for Excellence in Health Care, Australian Medical Association