Mian Amer Mahmood
|Mian Amer Mahmood|
25 July 1960
|Residence||Model Town, Lahore|
Mian Amer Mahmood (born 25 July 1960 Lahore) is a Pakistani businessman and educator. Mian Amer Mahmood has been the Mayor (Nazim) of the District Government, Lahore two times from 2001 to 2009. He is chairman of the University of Central PunjabChancellor of Muhammad Ali Jinnah University And Chancellor of Capital University of Science & Technology
Early life and career
Mahmood was born into an Arain family. After completing his MBA(cs) from the Punjab University, he chose to venture into the education sector of Pakistan and launched the Punjab Group of Colleges (PGC) in 1985. Later he established Punjab Law College in 1987 and Punjab College of Business Administration in 1989. In 1993, he established Punjab Institute of Computer Science, followed by Muhammad Ali Jinnah University in 1998. In 2002, 2003 and 2010 he launched the University of Central Punjab, Resource Academia School System and Allied Schools respectively.He was born & living in model town lahore since after his birth.
In December 2008, Amer Mahmood launched a new television network Dunya News. The channel generated much criticism in 2012 when Malik Riaz, Meher Bukhari and Mubasher Lucman had discussions in a talk show. Later in September 2012 he also launched a daily publishing Urdu language newspaper Roznama Dunya, which publishes from Eight different cities in Pakistan.
Mahmood was first elected as a City councilor in 1987. He was re-elected in 1991 and won the local bodies elections. Later in 2001, he was elected Mayor of Lahore after winning the majority vote. He was re-elected for a subsequent term of four years, which he successfully completed in 2009.
During his mayor-ship, he signed an agreement of sisterhood with four cities that include Isfahan in 2004 and Mashhad in 2006, both cities of Iran. In 2005 Amer Mahmood stated that he was in efforts to declare Glasgow as a twin city of Lahore, later on 6 May 2006 mayor reported that Glasgow City Council will announce Lahore as sister city soon. Which 14 September 2006 he has signed the twin city memorandum with the Glasgow's Lord Provost Liz Cameron in the meeting in Glasgow. Later in February 2007 Mayor of Lahore, Amer Mahmood also signed the sister cities memorandum with Chicago city's mayor Richard M. Daley and declared both as twin cities. During the tenure of Mahmood Glasgow city provided Lahore with training facilities and fire fighting vehicles in 2008.
In January 2004 Mahmood donated Rs. 1 million to a Government Girls High School in Model Town. Mian Amer launched Dunya Foundation which has successfully achieved its objectives and works for the welfare and uplifting of the society. DUNYA FOUNDATION is a non-political and non-profit organisation and its goals are to promote education and serve humanity by:
- Providing free books, stationery and other necessities of students to the underprivileged students.
- Providing free and affordable education to the students, who have the will to study but cannot bear the expenses.
- Awarding Scholarships to the needy and competent students.
- Awarding Scholarships and prizes to the students attaining top positions in the Board Examinations.
- Inculcating in the students a sense of responsibility, duty and dignity of labour.
- Motivating the students to uphold their identity as honourable citizens of Pakistan.
- Propagating the ideology of Islam and Pakistan among students.
Besides promoting education, Dunya Foundation has also been active in:
- Providing shelter to vulnerable homeless people, elderly, victims of natural disasters and the disabled.
- Establishing Income Support Programs.
- Helping and working in collaboration with other non-profit organisations.
Achievements and Credits
- He is the first ever member of the Board of Trustees, of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand Established in 1959 by SEATO Member countries from Pakistan.
- For his services as Mayor of the city of Lahore, he was declared “The Son of Lahore”, by the President of Pakistan at a ceremony held at the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry in 2012.
- In recognition of his valuable services towards the education, political and media sectors of the country, he was honoured with the Hilal e Imtiaz, a highly prestigious national award, by the President of Pakistan.
- "Profile: Mian Amer Mahmood". urduwire.com. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Chairman UCP: Mian Amer Mahmood". ucp.com.pk. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Mohammad Ali Jinnah University".
- "Chairman CUST: Mian Amer Mahmood".
- "Profile: Mian Amir Mehmood". profilepk.com. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Mian Amir Mehmood's Dunya News channel, anchors for sale?". thenewstribe.com. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Roznama Dunya ready for Capital launch". journalismpakistan.com. 30 December 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Govt wants to declare Glasgow and Lahore twin cities". dailytimes.com.pk. 30 April 2005. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Glasgow, Lahore to be twin cities". dawn.com. 7 May 2006. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Glasgow and Lahore in closer link". bbc.co.uk. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Chicago-Lahore twinning committee formed". dailytimes.com.pk. 13 February 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Lahore's twin sisters ignored by successive governments". dailytimes.com.pk. 15 October 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2013.