Vuniwaqa is a lawyer and former civil servant. She holds a law degree from the University of Tasmania and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University. Since 1998 she has worked as a State solicitor for Fiji's Office of the Attorney General. She was appointed as chair of the Telecommunications Authority of Fiji in 2008. From January 2012 to March 2013 she was Acting Permanent Secretary for Justice and acting supervisor of elections. She resigned suddenly in March 2013 for personal reasons.
Vuniwaqa was elected in the 2014 election, in which she won 1,175 votes. She was appointed to Cabinet as Minister for Lands and Mineral Resources in September 2014.
- "20-member Cabinet announced". FBC. 2014-09-24. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Mrs. Mereseini Vuniwaqa". Fiji First. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "ITU Regional Office for Asia & Pacific Regional Office: Biography". International Telecommunications Union. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Fiji's National Federation Party objects against FijiFirst candidates". Islands Business. 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Fiji political party registrar suddenly resigns, citing personal reasons". Radio New Zealand International. 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "2014 Election Results". Fiji Elections Office. Retrieved 2014-09-25.