Melbourne East Province
Melbourne East Province was an electorate of the Victorian Legislative Council.
It was created in June 1904 when Melbourne Province was reduced in size (four members down to two), North Yarra Province and South Yarra Province were abolished. The new Melbourne East Province, Melbourne North Province, Melbourne South Province and Melbourne West Province were then created.
Melbourne East was defined by the Electoral Provinces Boundaries Act 1903 (taking effect from the 1904 elections) as consisting of the following divisions: Barkly, Central Fitzroy, Central Richmond, Collingwood East, Darling, North Richmond, South Fitzroy and South Richmond.
Members for Melbourne East Province
These were members of the upper house province of the Victorian Parliament. The bicameral system of government commenced in November 1856.
|Member 1||Term||Member 2||Term|
|William Pitt||June 1904 – May? 1910||Adam McLellan||June 1904 – April 1917 [r]|
|John Percy Jones||June 1910 – June 1934||Daniel McNamara||May 1917 – June 1937|
|William Beckett||June 1934 – June 1940|
- [r] = Resigned
- Pitt transferred from North Yarra Province in 1904.
- McNamara transferred to Melbourne Province in June 1937.
- "Re-Member (Former Members)". State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Electoral Provinces Boundaries Act 1903". Australasian Legal Information Institute. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Edward Sweetman (1920). Constitutional Development of Victoria, 1851-6. Whitcombe & Tombs Limited. p. 182. Retrieved 18 November 2012.