Matilda of Brabant, Countess of Artois
|Matilda of Brabant|
Medallion of Matilda of Brabant
Robert I of Artois|
Guy III, Count of Saint-Pol
|Father||Henry II, Duke of Brabant|
|Mother||Marie of Hohenstaufen|
|Born||14 June 1224|
|Died||29 September 1288 64)(aged|
Marriages and children
On 14 June 1237, which was her 13th birthday, Matilda married her first husband Robert I of Artois. Robert was 21 years old and the fifth son of Louis VIII of France and Blanche of Castile. They had two children:
- Blanche of Artois (1248 – 2 May 1302). Married first Henry I of Navarre and secondly Edmund Crouchback, 1st Earl of Lancaster.
- Robert II, Count of Artois (1250 – 11 July 1302).
On 8 February 1250, Robert I was killed while participating in the Seventh Crusade. On 16 January 1255, Matilda married her second husband Guy III, Count of Saint-Pol. He was a younger son of Hugh I, Count of Blois and Mary, Countess of Blois. They had six children:
- Hugh II, Count of Blois (died 1307), Count of Saint Pol and later Count of Blois
- Guy IV, Count of Saint-Pol (died 1317), Count of Saint Pol
- Jacques I of Leuze-Châtillon (died 1302, Battle of the Golden Spurs), first of the lords of Leuze, married Catherine de Condé and had issue; his descendants brought Condé, Carency, etc. into the House of Bourbon.
- Beatrix (died 1304), married John I of Brienne, Count of Eu
- Jeanne, married Guillaume III de Chauvigny, Lord of Châteauroux
- Gertrude, married Florent, Lord of Mechelen (French: Malines).
|Ancestors of Matilda of Brabant, Countess of Artois|
- "Maude of Brabant (1224–1288)." Women in World History: A Biographical Encyclopedia. 2002. HighBeam Research. (October 14, 2012). http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G2-2591306344.html