In 2012, regional cement producer PT Semen Bosowa Maros began construction in Maros of a new clinker plant estimated to cost over $300 million. The clinker plant was expected to help the cement company increase production in the region in response to the growing demand for cement to support construction activities.
Rock art in caves
Nearby to Maros, in the area of the Maros Regency to the north of Makassar, are Pettakere cave and other prehistoric caves that contain significant rock art. Research suggests that the rock art is of considerable archaeological significance.
- Indonesian Cereals Research Institute
- Indonesian Agency for Agricultural Research and Development
- Andi Hajramurni and Raras Cahyafitri, "Bosowo builds $310 million clinker plant", The Jakarta Post, 20 November 2012.
- M. Aubert et al, "Pleisocene cave art from Sulawesi, Indonesia", Nature, 514, 9 October 2014.
- Paul S.C. Tacon et al, "40,000 year old rock art found in Indonesia", The Conversation, 9 October 2014.