Former abbey church of Marmoutier Abbey
|Coordinates: 48°41′N 7°23′E / 48.69°N 7.38°ECoordinates: 48°41′N 7°23′E / 48.69°N 7.38°E|
|Intercommunality||Communauté de communes du pays de Marmoutier|
|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Jean-Claude Weil|
|Area1||14.07 km2 (5.43 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||67283 / 67440|
188–367 m (617–1,204 ft) |
(avg. 210 m or 690 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Marmoutier (German: Maursmünster) is a commune in the Bas-Rhin département in Grand Est in north-eastern France. The origin of the place is the former Marmoutier Abbey, of which the abbey church still serves as the parish church.
In 590 St. Leonhard, a disciple of Columbanus, founded a benedictine monastery which later was named after the abbot Maurus who modified it in the 12th century imitating the style of Hirsau. The church dates from this time. Above all the cloister flourished during the 14th century. In 1792 it disinitegrated during the French Revolution.
Jacob Frey, a writer, lived in Marmoutier from 1545 as town chronicler and notary.
The church of Marmoutier Abbey from the 11th century holds a pipe organ by the organ builder Andreas Silbermann. Église Saint-Blaise de Sindelsberg was built in 1584 and underwent renovation work in 1872.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marmoutier.|