Marine Department (Hong Kong)
|Headquarters||Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong|
|Annual budget||HK$919.0m (2008-09)|
The Marine Department (traditional Chinese: 海事處; simplified Chinese: 海事处; pinyin: Hǎishìchù; Jyutping: hoi2 si6 cyu3) of the Hong Kong Government is responsible for maintaining safety and environmental protection of the harbour (Port of Hong Kong), ships registered/foreign ships in Hong Kong and monitor shipping traffic in Hong Kong Waters, search and rescue operations for large waters of the South China Sea.
The department is led by the Director of Marine, Mr HP Liu, who reports to the Secretary for Economic Development and Labour.
The Marine Department is also responsible for co-ordinating search and rescue operations in the waters around Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre - search and rescue
- administer ship registration in Hong Kong
- ensure compliance with international and marine laws
- ensure compliance with environmental protection standards and combat pollution (namely oil spills)
- provide and maintain government vessels (Government Dockyard)
- facilitate the safe and expeditious movement of ships
Hong Kong is a major cargo port—175 million tonnes of cargo went through its port and 18.1 million TEU in 2000. The Marine Department acts as the port authority (the agency does not exist in Hong Kong).
- 6,000 metres of quays - Kwai Chung and Stonecutters container terminals
- 7,750 metres of quays at public cargo working areas
- 58 mooring buoys for ocean-going vessels
- 2 ferry terminals
- Marine Department port facility - former Royal Navy base - HMS Tamar on Stonecutters Island (500 operational vessels)
Marine Department was called the Harbour Department in the early days, they in charge of harbour affairs and manage various aviation activities. Marine Department was under Economic Development and Labour Bureau before 2007. Marine Department has now been under Transport and Housing Bureau since 1 July 2007.
On 19 April 2013, Lamma Island Accident Investigation Board submitted a 238 pages report to the Hong Kong Government. On 30 April 2013, the chief executive Leung Chun Ying announced the report of Lamma Island accident, noted that the report detailed analyze the causes of the collision, the reason of why the vessel sank quickly and serious injuries; Also Marine Department has a serious of problem of regulating vessels, he said that government will take it seriously this year, they will draw a lesson and make improvements. He said that he has instructed the Transport and Housing Bureau and the Marine Department to adopt the contents of the report, and full implementation, in order to improve maritime safety in Hong Kong. If the incident involves officials of human error and misconduct, the Hong Kong government will strictly deal with it, including disciplinary hearings On the same day, Secretary for Transport and Housing Anthony announced the establishment of the Marine Department, reform Steering Committee, chaired by him, the leadership of two members, and later announced that appointees were former Ombudsman Alice Tai and Arts Development Advisory Committee Koo, respectively term two years. He said the Hong Kong government will learn a lesson, pay special attention to the report loopholes and deficiencies relating to the Marine Department system; committee will be a comprehensive review of the system of the Marine Department, including management, licensing regulatory, enforcement and inspections and other matters, and launched reform program and timetable. In addition, he said that it has obtained the consent of CSB, to send them a Grade B officer to become the Deputy Director of Marine, and assisted by an assist Director of Marine Department dealing with the maritime affairs reformation, an additional two Assistant Director of Marine will help them. The Marine Department will invite international experts to give advice to strengthen its reform efforts. Director of Marine Liaohan Bo said the Marine Department will cooperate a fully reforms, including the establishment of the Executive Team to co-ordinate inspection Affairs. Committee Secretary for Transport and Housing Anthony leadership will supervise the Director of Marine comprehensive examination and a thorough reform of the Marine Department, and to develop a timetable to implement the reform program.
May 21, 2013, reform of the Steering Committee held its first meeting of the Marine Department, to determine the terms of reference of the Committee, including three points, first review the regulation of passenger safety and inspection aspects of Hong Kong vessel, the elaboration of a detailed reform plan, implement and monitor programs; second is review of Marine Department and reorganization of operations management processes, operating procedures and oversight structure, in order to strengthen internal control department governance; finally to formulate strategies to solve the case of shortage of personnel departments, and developing training programs. Thereafter, the Commission will hold a meeting once every two weeks. Reform of Marine Affairs Steering Committee is divided into two phases; the first phase of the Marine Department will inspect the various departments to understand processes and procedures in the hope within 4–6 months to improve existing procedures and practices to submit proposals, and be implemented, which then deep reform of the Marine Department to conduct a review 。
- "Contact Us." Marine Department. Retrieved on 16 January 2012. "Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong" - Traditional Chinese address: "香港中環統一碼頭道38號海港政府大樓", Simplified Chinese address: "香港中环统一码头道38号海港政府大楼"
- "Types of Marine Accident Investigation Carried out by Marine Department." Marine Department. Retrieved on 16 January 2012.
- Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying announced findings shipwreck行政長官梁振英公布海難調查結果 《星島日報》 2013年4月30日
- Lamma report released fireworks stop南丫報告出爐 停國慶煙花 《明報》 2013年4月30日
- ANTHONY: personally supervise the reform of Marine張炳良：親自督促改革海事處
- Anthony: If anyone misconduct and dereliction of duty will be handled according to law張炳良：若有人行為失當和失職將依法處理
- Collision Accident Commission provided 13 recommendations promise to reform撞船事故委員會提13項建議 政府承諾改革
- Administrative Officer appointed Deputy Director of Marine Doc reform政務官任海事處副處長督改革 《星島日報》 2013年4月30日
- Marine Department Government Reform Committee set up政府成立海事處改革委員會 《明報》 2013年4月30日
- Marine Department will cooperate fully with the reform海事處將全面配合改革 《明報》 2013年4月30日
- Reform of the system in two years criticized the Marine海事制度改革需兩年捱批 《明報》 2013年5月3日
- Maritime Reform Steering Committee to determine the terms of reference海事改革督導委員會確定職權 《星島日報》 2013年5月21日
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marine Department (Hong Kong).|