Maria de La Cerda y de Lara
|Maria de La Cerda y de Lara|
|Countess of Étampes|
|Countess of Alençon|
13 March 1375|
Charles II, Count of Alençon
Louis II d'Évreux|
Charles III of Alençon
Peter II of Alençon
Robert of Alençon
House of Burgundy|
House of Valois
|Father||Fernando de la Cerda|
|Mother||Juana Núñez de Lara|
Maria de La Cerda y Lara (1319 – 13 March 1375) was the youngest daughter of Fernando de la Cerda and his wife Juana Núñez de Lara. Maria was a member of the Castilian House of Burgundy. By her second marriage she was Countess consort of Alençon.
When Maria was only three years of age her father died, her mother died twenty-nine years later in 1351.
Maria's maternal grandparents were Juan Núñez II de Lara and his wife Teresa Diaz de Haro. Her paternal grandparents were Ferdinand de la Cerda and his wife Blanche of France, herself daughter of Louis IX of France and Margaret of Provence.
In April 1335 at Poissy, Maria married her first husband Charles d'Évreux. They were married for only a year but had twin sons. On the 5 September 1336 Charles died leaving Maria a seventeen-year-old widow with her two young sons.
Maria remarried only three months after Charles' death to Charles II, Count of Alençon. It was a second marriage for them both, Charles' first wife Jeanne of Joigny had died the previous year. They were married for nine years when Charles died at the Battle of Crécy.
With Charles d'Évreux she had twin sons:
- Louis II d'Évreux (1336–1400), married Jeanne (d. 1389), daughter of Raoul I of Brienne, Count of Eu
- John (1336 – aft. 1373, Rome)
With Charles II of Alençon she had the following children:
- Charles III of Alençon (1337 – 5 July 1375, Lyon)
- Philip of Alençon (1338–1397, Rome), made Bishop of Beauvais in 1356, later Cardinal, Archbishop of Rouen, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Patriarch of Aquileia, and Bishop of Ostia and Sabina
- Peter II of Alençon (1340 – 20 September 1404)
- Isabelle (1342 – 3 September 1379, Poissy), became a nun
- Robert of Alençon (1344–1377), Count of Perche, married 5 April 1374 Jeanne, daughter of Viscount John I of Rohan