Marquisate of Bodonitsa
The margraviate or marquisate of Bodonitsa (also Vodonitsa or Boudonitza; Greek: Μαρκιωνία/Μαρκιζᾶτον τῆς Βοδονίτσας), today Mendenitsa, Phthiotis (180 km northwest of Athens), was a Frankish state in Greece following the conquests of the Fourth Crusade. It was originally granted as a margravial holding of Guy Pallavicini by Boniface, first king of Thessalonica, in 1204. Its original purpose was to guard the pass of Thermopylae.
The marquisate survived the fall of Thessalonica after the death of Boniface, but it was made subservient to the Principality of Achaea in 1248. The marquisate further survived the coming of the Catalan Company in 1311, but it fell to two Venetian families in quick succession: Cornaro (till 1335) and the Zorzi. Among the eighteen Catalan vassals of the area in 1380-1 the Margrave of Bodonitsa ranks third below Count Demitre and the Count of Salona. The Zorzi ruled the marquisate until the Ottoman Turks conquered it in 1414. Nicholas II continued to use the margravial title after that date, but the territory was never recovered.
Thomas inherited the Pallavicini margraviate after a dispute with Isabella's widower. He was a grandson of Rubino, brother of Guy.
- 1204 – 1237 Guy
- 1237 – 1278 Ubertino
- 1278 – 1286 Isabella
- 1278 – 1286 (?) Antoine le Flamenc, husband (conjectured)
- 1286 – ca. 1300 Thomas
- ca. 1300 – 1311 Albert
- 1311 – 1358 Guglielma
- 1327 – 1334 Bartolommeo Zaccaria, husband
The first Zorzi was a husband of Guglielma.
- 1335 – 1345 Nicholas I
- 1345 – 1388 Francis
- 1388 – 1410 Jacob
- 1410 – 1411 Nicholas II
- 1411 – 1414 Nicholas III
- Miller, William (1908). "The Marquisate of Boudonitza (1204–1414)". Journal of Hellenic Studies. 28: 234–249. doi:10.2307/624608.
- Setton, Kenneth M. (general editor) A History of the Crusades: Volume III — The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries. Harry W. Hazard, editor. University of Wisconsin Press: Madison, 1975.
- Setton, Kenneth M. Catalan Domination of Athens 1311–1380. Revised edition. Variorum: London, 1975.
- Cawley, Charles, Latin Lordships of Greece: Boudonitza., Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,
- Marquisate of Bodonitsa.
- Zakythinos, D. A. (1932). Le Despotat Grec de Morée: les Belles Lettres (in French). Paris.