Iureș in 2013
August 2, 1951|
|Occupation||Actor (1975-present), philanthropist|
Marcel Iureş (Romanian pronunciation: [marˈt͡ʃel ˈjureʃ]; born August 2, 1951) is a Romanian actor He is one of Romania's most acclaimed stage and film actors. He has acted in films and on stage both in Romania and internationally, as well as playing at least ten roles on Romanian and British television. He has continued to explore new artistic challenges such as voiceovers for Disney and in the world of computer games. Iureş is the president and a judge of the Anonimul International Film Festival and also the president of Ideo Ideis Festival (an annual national theatre festival for teenagers).
He made his stage debut at the Bulandra Theatre, Romania, in the 1975 production of Ferma, playing George. From 1978 to 1981 he acted at the National Theatre, Cluj, in numerous roles such as Beckman in the play Afară în faţa uşii and Conifeul in Persii. During the early 1980s, Iureş appeared at both the Bulandra and Odeon Theatres in Bucharest. Among his roles were the title roles in Shakespeare's were Hamlet, Henry IV and Richard III.
He is the president of Teatrul ACT (the first independent theatre in Romania) of which he was one of the founders in 1995. Iureş has starred there in various roles, including the title roles of Shakespeare's Richard II, Richard III (directed by Mihai Măniuţiu), and Hamlet (directed by Liviu Ciulei). He has also appeared in Fundaţia Teatrul ACT-staged shows such as Creatorul de Teatru (The Creator of the Theatre, directed by Alexandru Dabija), Cetatea Soarelui (Citadel of the Sun, directed by Mihai Măniuţiu), and Samuel Beckett's Krapp's Last Tape. Iureş also continues to perform with the Bulandra Theatre, for whom he played the lead in a 2005 production of Luigi Pirandello's Henry IV.
Iureş has received many accolades and nominations (in both Romania and abroad) throughout his career.
Iureş made his film debut portraying Franz Liszt in the 1978 Romanian film Vis de ianuarie (January Dream). From the early 1980s and into the '90s, Iureş continued to build a screen career, appearing in many minor and major roles in Romania.
Iureş's international film career sprang from the UK tour in 1994 of Mihai Maniutiu's production of Richard III, where he played the eponymous hero. The role of Alexander Golitsyn in the 1996 film Mission Impossible was quickly followed by playing Dusan Gavrich in the 1997 film The Peacemaker, starring George Clooney and Nicole Kidman. Other film appearances include roles in Hart's War, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Goal!, Faimosul Paparazzo, Isolation, Vacanţa Cea Mare and Logodnicii Din America.
- Aurel Vlaicu (1977)
- Vis de ianuarie (1978, January Dream)
- Castle in the Carpathians (1981)
- Să mori rănit din dragoste de viaţă (1983, Fatally Injured by Love of Life, a.k.a. To Die from Love of Life)
- Sezonul pescăruşilor (1985, Seagull Season)
- Domnişoara Aurica (1985, Ms. Aurica)
- Vacanţa cea mare (1988 lit. Vacation by the Sea; a.k.a. The Big Holiday, The Great Vacation)
- Un Bulgăre de humă (1989, A Ball of Clay)
- Cei care plătesc cu viaţa (1991, Those Who Pay with Their Lives)
- Balanţa (1992, The Scale) a.k.a. Stejarul (The Oak; known in French as Le Chêne).
- Somnul insulei (1994, The Sleep of the Island), Director: Mircea Veroiu, adaptation from the noverl "Al Doilea Mesager"/"The Second Messenger" by Bujor Nedelcovici
- Un été inoubliable (1994, An Unforgettable Summer)
- Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
- Mission: Impossible (1996)
- The Peacemaker (1997)
- Faimosul paparazzo (1999)
- The Elite (2001)
- I Hope... (2001)
- Amen. (2002; a.k.a. Eyewitness, and in Germany as Der Stellvertreter)
- Hart's War (2002)
- Dracula the Impaler (2002) (voice)
- 3 păzeşte (2003, Three Warnings)
- Cambridge Spies (2003) (TV)
- A Few Day's Adventures (2004)
- The Tulse Luper Suitcases, Part 2: Vaux to the Sea (2004)
- Layer Cake (2004)
- The Cave (2005)
- Goal! (2005)
- Isolation (2005)
- Cars- Doc Hudson (Romanian dubbing) (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Youth Without Youth (2007)
- Thick as Thieves (2009)
- The Phantom Father (2011)
- Crossing Lines (2013)
- Hotel Transylvania 2 - Vlad (Romanian dubbing) (2015)
- Biography, www.marcel-iures.com (official site). Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Marcel Iureş at the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Echipa ("Team"), Teatrul ACT, official site. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Istoric ("History"), Teatrul ACT, official site. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- News Information, www.marcel-iures.com (official site). Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- The Peacemaker at the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2010-02-21