Map of Sulu with Maimbung highlighted
Location within the Philippines
|Coordinates: 05°56′N 121°02′E / 5.933°N 121.033°ECoordinates: 05°56′N 121°02′E / 5.933°N 121.033°E|
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|District||1st district of Sulu|
|• Mayor||Samier Tan|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Dialing code||+63 (0)68|
Maimbung is a fifth class municipality in the province of Sulu, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 37,914 people. It has been cited by the late self-proclaimed Sultan Jamalul Kiram III of the Sultanate of Sulu as the capital of the sultanate, and the place where he wished he was buried after death. The late sultan died in 2013 and was buried in the town afterwards.
Maimbung is politically subdivided into 27 barangays.
- Anak Jati
- Bato Ugis
- Bualo Lahi
- Bualo Lipid
- Duhol Kabbon
- Lagasan Asibih
- Laud Kulasi
- Laum Maimbung
- Lower Tambaking
- Poblacion (Maimbung)
- Ratag Limbon
- Tandu Patong
- Upper Tambaking
|Population census of Maimbung|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- CHR to exhume bodies of ‘Maimbung massacre victims'