Maidenhead Synagogue shown within southern England
|Location||Maidenhead, Berkshire, England|
|Geographic coordinates||51°31′34″N 0°42′22″W / 51.526°N 0.706°WCoordinates: 51°31′34″N 0°42′22″W / 51.526°N 0.706°W|
|Leadership||Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain MBE|
Maidenhead Synagogue originated during World War II when many Jewish families were evacuated to the area from London. It was initially a community with no dedicated building, meeting for prayer in private houses and served by a volunteer rabbi and lay readers. At the war's end, some of the congregation stayed in the area and established a permanent Jewish community, acquiring a house for use as a dedicated synagogue building in 1953.
The synagogue became part of the Reform Movement in 1960, so receiving the services of student rabbis of the Leo Baeck College, among them being Jonathan Romain who was appointed as the synagogue's first full-time rabbi in 1980. Since then, the synagogue moved to larger premises in 2001 and the congregation has grown to 800 families.
In addition to being a centre for worship, the synagogue's facilities include a library, a Judaica and kosher shop, a nursery school, a religion school, youth clubs, adult education classes, conversion classes, social activities for adults and children, a café, and a community care scheme.
- List of Jewish communities in the United Kingdom
- List of synagogues in the United Kingdom
- Movement for Reform Judaism