Lysekil southeast part
|Coordinates: 58°17′N 11°26′E / 58.283°N 11.433°ECoordinates: 58°17′N 11°26′E / 58.283°N 11.433°E|
|County||Västra Götaland County|
|• Total||3.75 km2 (1.45 sq mi)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||2,032/km2 (5,260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Lysekil is situated at the mouth of the Gullmarn fjord, which is a conservation area, and is a major summer tourist destination.
The largest oil refinery in Sweden, Preemraff Lysekil situated a few miles outside the town, is one of the main employers in the area.
Lysekil is known as the place of origin of Lysekil Caviar, often referred to as Creamed Smoked Roe in English. It differs from normal caviar in that its main ingredients are tomato sauce, cod roe, onion, and salt; it is also often seasoned with dill and chives. Kalles kaviar is the best-known brand.
People from Lysekil
- Nathalie Djurberg (born 1978) – artist
- William Matson (1849 – 1917) – Swedish-American shipping executive.
- Fredrik Risp (born 1980) – Swedish football player.
- Lysekil main street
- Lysekil Church as seen from the harbor
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lysekil.|
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.