On 1 January 1624 he became Colonel-General of the Cavalry and on 17 April 1635 Maréchal de camp.
On 29 October 1637 he was appointed Governor of the Provence, starting from January 1638. During the Fronde, he refused to obey the orders of Cardinal Mazarin and was recalled to Court in September 1650. He was replaced as governor in February 1653 and became Minister of State on 20 July 1653. He died 4 months later.
Marriage and children
Louis-Emmanuel de Valois married on 8 February 1629 with Marie Henriette de La Guiche, dame de Chaumont (died 1682), daughter of Philibert de La Guiche, Grand Master of Artillery. They had :
- Louis d’Angoulême (1630-1637)
- Marie Françoise de Valois (1631-1696), married Louis, Duke of Joyeuse, with issue.
- Armand d'Angoulême (1635-1639)
- François d'Angoulême (1639-1644)
- Jean Duquesne Dictionnaire des Gouverneurs de Province Éditions Christian, Paris 2002, ISBN 2864960990, p. 189
- Histoire Europe