The estate is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The core of the present house dates from the 17th century, though significant remodelling was carried out throughout the 19th century. The ruins of an earlier castle, built in 1340, survive in the grounds.
The north front was built in 1712 by Sir Edward Lelghton, 2nd Baronet, who moved his family seat here from Wattlesborough Castle, and was High Sheriff of Shropshire for 1727. In 1805 the 5th Baronet entertained the Prince Regent and the Duke of Clarence at Loton. The 6th Baronet was wounded in the American War of Independence, was a Brigadier in Portugal and Governor of Carrickfergus Castle. The house is currently the home of Sir Michael Leighton, 11th Baronet (see Leighton Baronets).
The estate is also prominent in motorsport as the location of the Loton Park Hill Climb.
- "Shropshire Houses:Past and Present". Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "A family story told in stone - GARETH WILLIAMS visits the home of generations of Leightons"
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Loton Park and surrounding area